Any truth to this?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-06-2009, 02:39 PM

Default Any truth to this??

I have been getting messages from friends on my PS3 that states that effective 1/12/10, PSN will no longer be free and members will have to pay for their online play. I REALLY hope this is not true! I dont know why Sony would start shooting themselves in the foot when they seem to be getting more and more favorable support for their hardware from consumers over the 360. If this is true, will it be a monthly basis (I read an article that Microsoft may start charging $10 per month for their Live service) or will it be a set amount per year??
Old 12-06-2009, 02:51 PM

No.

It's spam - yes, believe it or not, there is spam even on gaming consoles. I haven't got that particular one yet, but it is what it is...spam.

Now - there is a slight nugget of truth in that. Yes, Playstation has announced that there is going to be some sort of upgraded online service for a fee. No one knows a date yet, and the 'extras' have not been announced that you will get if you elect to pay for this upgraded service. They have stated numerous times though that basic online play and everything included with the current psn will continue to be free.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
No.

It's spam - yes, believe it or not, there is spam even on gaming consoles.
I have never received spam on my xbox360 and I am online 12 hours a day.

Must be a PS3 thing.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:48 PM

No, it's not just a ps3 thing. It happens on both, regardless if you haven't received one or not. Sometimes they are 'chain' type letters forwarded from people on your friends list, sometimes they are messages sent by random people not on your list. It's not something that happens often, and in the few years I've had my ps3, I've only had one and that was some stupid cod:waw boycott shit.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
No.

It's spam - yes, believe it or not, there is spam even on gaming consoles. I haven't got that particular one yet, but it is what it is...spam.

Now - there is a slight nugget of truth in that. Yes, Playstation has announced that there is going to be some sort of upgraded online service for a fee. No one knows a date yet, and the 'extras' have not been announced that you will get if you elect to pay for this upgraded service. They have stated numerous times though that basic online play and everything included with the current psn will continue to be free.
Thanks AK for the intel... appreciate it. Thought it was bullshit, just wanted to make sure.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:59 PM

Ive heard about the possibility of pay to play PSN. might of read about it on joystiq. I wouldnt mind as long as its affordable like Live.

and I have received spam on PSN and Live.