Would you buy a back up PS3?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-12-2009, 06:33 PM

Default Would you buy a back up PS3??

My PS3 is still running smooth but it is a launch 60GB and I am worried that it may die on me soon. I have been reading other members PS3's dying on them (60GB launch systems like mine) after about 3 years..which is about how old mine is. I have the $$$ right now to get a PS3 Slim so, if you were in my position, would you go ahead and get a back up to your PS3 just in case or would you say ''Taygan...relax dude!! Why waste the $$ on something you dont need yet. Worry about it later when it ACTUALLY happens!'' lol. Just curious to hear my fellow HDD brothers and sisters opinions.

Thanks for all responses!!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:29 PM

Knock on wood first then dont worry about it... What if you buy the back up PS3 now and yours doesnt break for over a year. Then you plug your backup PS3 in and a week later it craps to bed. No warranty and no player. I would just wait.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:07 PM

I'd make back ups of saved games & files regularly if you're concerned about it, other than that it seems a bit of waste

Unless you are picking up another 60gb.
Old 11-14-2009, 12:23 PM

Yeah..you guys are right. Why waste the $$. I'll worry about it when I have to. I have also decided to wait on my new lcd purchase that I have been saving up all year for. One number and one letter: 3D! I want to see them in action for myself to see if they are as good as Panasonic is saying that they are. I hope they take off. If I go look at one and I am like , then I'm all over this one and it will be in my SUV before the sales guy can ring me up,lol.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:12 PM

My 60GB PS3 will be 3 years old in January. No problems to report. And yes, I've been saving since to get a new 3D Blu-ray player and 46" 3D HDTV when they appear - next year. In the meantime, the saved money goes into the stock market.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:40 AM

The ONLY reason I could see buying a spare is if you got a good deal on a launch unit which still had SACD capabilities, card reader, extra USB ports, and BC-- if those things were important to you, as it's likely that they'll only get more and more rare.

But if you're just looking at it as a BR and game player, I see no reason at all to buy a backup now. This isn't like HD-DVD where new units get tougher to find in the wild (or if you don't trust Ebay for electronics, which definitely is an issue ) and having a backup may not be a bad idea. I'm sure PS3s will be fully available, and only get cheaper, in the years to come.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:28 AM

I have a second PS3 for the bedroom that came in handy when my 60 gig went tits up, but I really wish I had backed up my game saves and whatnot, I had to get mine temporarily repaired for $90 by a repair shop so I could recover my data. Having all my PS1-3 saves ever in one place was a bad idea I guess.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:11 PM

I'd wait until you really need one. Maybe a price drop or a new hardware revision will come out before your 1st one breaks, why pay money now if it's just going to sit around as a backup. If you PS3 breaks, a new one is a Target or Best Buy away.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:53 PM

Your wisdom knows no bounds my HDD brothers!! Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:41 PM

I would put the money in a savings account and sit on it until you need it.