DTS-HD-Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-13-2007, 06:25 PM

Default DTS-HD-Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD

Do you guys think that it is possible to have a firmware update enable the internal decoding of DTS-HD-Master Audio? Also, is it possible for a firmware update to enable bitstreaming of DTS-HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD? There have been many speculations about how the PS3's HDMI 1.3 can't do it, and Sony has avoided answering that question, that leaves me confused. Can it be done, or is the HDMI chipset already obsolete?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:06 PM

I'm pretty sure Sony can do a firmware to do TrueHD bitstream, dont know about DTS HD MA.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:33 AM

The PS3 does not have the HDMI chipset (SI 9133 & 9134) to enable it to pass bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD MA over HDMI. It comes equiped w/SI 9132 with was the only one available at the time the PS3 came out.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkny75 View Post
The PS3 does not have the HDMI chipset (SI 9133 & 9134) to enable it to pass bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD MA over HDMI. It comes equiped w/SI 9132 with was the only one available at the time the PS3 came out.
What do the different chipsets matter? The playstation 3 has HDMI 1.3 and so is able to send out bitstream DTS-HD-MA and Dolby TrueHD as soon as Sony enables it with a firmware upgrade. But technically, you don't even need bitstream for those as long as a firmware upgrade would allow for decoding of both TrueHD and DTS-HD-MA to multichannel PCM, because if you have a receiver that does HDMI audio, it probably does multichannel PCM anyway, so I really don't see the reason for bitstream anymore. The only reason we had bitstream before with DVD players and optical is because a fully uncompressed audio stream could not fit on the bandwidth of the optical cord, now, with HDMI, it can, so I don't see a reason for it.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkny75 View Post
When you start talking about chipsets in the PS3 as being a reason for the inability to send bitstream, I don't question you. Obviously you know something I don't.

Are the new chipsets available to manufacturers now? Obviously if they are, then someone must be using them. Any speculation if current or next years models will have the new chipsets?

BTW, you seem to have a lot of knowledge about the PS3 while being an avid HD DVD supporter??
Old 06-14-2007, 07:16 PM

IF the chipset is in fact too old, it would be good if Sony allowed us to mail in the PS3s and have them put in the new HDMI chipset. It would go a long way to satisfy the consumers who do want bitstreaming, and it would also give them a PR boost over Microsoft after the Elite debacle.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:42 PM

Interesting...
Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 PM

From http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/05/08...or-ps3-owners/
Quote:
When the PS3 hit the street it was recognized as one of the most full featured Blu-ray players to date, but it seem now that PS3 owners aren't getting everything they thought they were. It has recently been uncovered that although the PS3 does have an HDMI 1.3 port, the software does not support bit stream audio. What this means for Blu-ray fans is that when they finally pick up one of those new Onkyo receivers with HDMI 1.3, that they still can't enjoy Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD because there is no way to get the bits out of the PS3. Of course the DTS track can still be down mixed and PCM audio is supported, but so much for being the most capable Blu-ray player available.

** Dolby TrueHD can still be decoded inside the PS3 and sent as uncompressed audio to the AV receiver, but if the AV receiver has an integrated decoder it can't be used instead of the PS3's decoder. **

** This was confirmed by a Sony representative.**
I guess if you really want bitstream and for the receiver to decode it then it matters. Currently there is no player that outputs the new formats through bitstream so its not that bad (some players may be able to have a firmware update but no one knows exactly if its true or not). Your still getting the format but its decoded by the PS3 along with all the other players on the market. Eventually I can see the PS3 decoding DTS-HD MA through a firmware upgrade.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:23 PM

Just to point out a mistake I made, the chipsets required to transmit bitstream over HDMI 1.3 are the Si9134 and Si9135.

The PS3 contains the Si9133 and so does the 2nd gen Samsung and XA2. No one really know about the new Sony yet.

Timbobarry is correct about TrueHD. It is decoded internally and transmitted as PCM to the receiver. On the new Onkyo 605 & 805, the receivers display PCM Multi Channel. In the grand scheme of things this isn't a huge deal but if you want your receiver to decode these streams then you'll need to find a player to will transport them over bitstream.

As for me knowing a lot about the PS3 and BD, you know what they say: Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. I'm just kidding. I am a HD DVD supporter but in no way a fanboy. I'm more of a fan of HD on disc. I've never ruled out getting a BD player. I always try to keep up on all the recent news.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:45 PM

Don't forget, while the 605 can only do Multichannel 5.1 PCM, the 805 can take the 5.1 PCM and apply PLIIx or Neo6 to make it 7.1. So if Sony could atleast make a firmware update for internal decoding I'll be happy, cuz it doesn't matter if it's bitstream or PCM since I plan on getting an 805.