PS3 Idea that would help boost blu-ray sales and sonys profits - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-10-2007, 01:31 PM

Default PS3 Idea that would help boost blu-ray sales and sonys profits

Its no secret that, currently, the ps3 is more of a bluray player than it is a game console. And it seems that that was part of sonys plan when releasing the most expensive video game console in the world - to get as many bluray players in homes as possible. They currently have a crappy version of xbox lives marketplace called sonystore or something silly like that. theres nothing of value on there right now other than a few game demos and movie trailers.

My idea is simple - whenever they start having downloadable hd movies in the store, charge 5 bucks to "rent" the movie. after a person downloads and watches the movie, give them the option to buy the blu-ray version of the movie at a discounted price with a click of the button. the same credit card and billing address information used on the sony account, would be charged for the bluray movie and it would be shipped to the persons home. a lot of people - like myself - dont make blind-buys for highdef movies. i rent everything from blockbuster online and then - if i like a movie, i buy it - usually from amazon.com. if sony offered a service like i mentioned, they would get my money, not blockbuster and amazon. what do you guys think?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:00 PM

How is it more a Blu-ray player your so wrong, and its not like PS2 didnt have dvd, everyone knew BD was going to be included.

The idea would be good, and I would buy more movies if they did it.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:18 PM

I find that an interesting idea but we already know there going to offer movies and such later down the year.

As far as the Playstation store goes, I love it. Its changed so much in the last few months that its been out and with Home coming out, it will change even more.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
I find that an interesting idea but we already know there going to offer movies and such later down the year.

As far as the Playstation store goes, I love it. Its changed so much in the last few months that its been out and with Home coming out, it will change even more.
I dont know if you have a 360, but xbox live marketplace is beautiful and elegant in its design and ease of use. the only thing i don't like is the "microsoft points" system. i'd rather just have a price listed with dollars and cents. but of course, microsoft knows that, and it knows people are inclined to spend more when they don't feel like they are spending "real money."
Old 06-10-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsef3 View Post
I dont know if you have a 360, but xbox live marketplace is beautiful and elegant in its design and ease of use. the only thing i don't like is the "microsoft points" system. i'd rather just have a price listed with dollars and cents. but of course, microsoft knows that, and it knows people are inclined to spend more when they don't feel like they are spending "real money."
Wait im sorry, are you really talking about microsoft here? lol "xbox live marketplace is beautiful and elegant in its design and ease of use." <shivers>
Old 06-10-2007, 09:56 PM

>xbox live marketplace is beautiful and elegant in its design and ease of use.

Dude, WHAT?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:25 AM

This is how you boost Blu-ray profits and stop Piracy all in one swoop. Blu-ray prices drop to $10 to $15 and standard DVDs drop to $8 to $12. Now that will sell disks because you can buy multiple titles for what your paying for one title at this point and time. This will also kill of the bigger Media Pirates out there because they can not make a profit selling a Blu-ray title for under $10. They also wont make a profit selling standard bootlegs for under $8. If you research into bootleg sales they tend to sell standard DVDs in the $8 to $10 price range. They make money doing so because it is a $7 to $12 savings per title. If prices drop that low it will put most of the small time bootleggers out of business allowing focus to be made in taking out the big time crooks. The biggest change that should be made is a season of Television should cost no more than $25. They broadcast it away for free but when you want it on disk it costs $50+? I dont understand how that can be justified. If Blu-ray, HD DVD, and SDVD all had a nice price drop it would push player sales at any price, sell more movies, and deter bootlegers. How is that for killing three birds with one stone.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsef3 View Post
your right, I dont own both a 360 and a elite and have by xbox live tag in my sig

Market place and dashboard have been called many things, Beautiful and Elegant, are not one thing any MS product has ever been associated with. From the 360 to Zune to Vista, elegant...eeerrrrrrr
Old 06-12-2007, 07:25 AM

Good Very Nice
Old 06-12-2007, 11:34 AM

has this guy posted anything besides "good very nice"?