Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over PS3 Failures - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-06-2009, 03:23 PM

Default Class Action Lawsuit Filed Over PS3 Failures

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Failures/3551
Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 PM

I had a feeling this was going to happen. But is anything going to happen, if only a small base claims that the 3.00 update messed up their drives?

I know if we are talking about millions, Sony would have (hopefully) issued some type of free fix or swap out. But if we are talking about less than a thousand...

Then again I have no idea what the figure is for those who recieved problems after 3.00
Old 10-06-2009, 03:37 PM

There was already a decent thread on the 3.01 disc-read errors when HDD ran that news a couple weeks back. Of course, I remember some Sony fans acting shocked that HDD would post news regarding the issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
There are no problems with the firmware. I'm frankly surprised FUD like this actually made it to the front page of HDD as if it were breaking news. Very sad when anecdotes pass for empirical evidence.
Of course, a class action lawsuit isn't proof of firmware-based problems either, but it does tend to support the notion that this is a more widespread problem than a handful of people. It doesn't help the cause that Sony refuses to repair them without $150 extra investment by their core-consumers.

Glad to see that people have taken this to court if it really has affected that many people. I remember seeing a thread following 3.0 and 3.01 that was up to 30 pages long on official Sony forums, without a single response except "firmware can't affect hardware, so it clearly wasn't us." Just the court costs alone associated with this class action might force them to play nicer next time they put out a mandatory update that adds nothing more than cosmetics and a rushed update to fix the cosmetic mandatory one.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:47 PM

Could someone please help me understand how the update can be mandatory? Can't you choose to not download and install it? If you don't have your PS3 hooked up to the internet, I don't think you will get the update. It it is hooked up to the internet for online gaming and BD Live, are they forcing the update before you can do anything else with the machine?
Old 10-06-2009, 03:53 PM

I agree with the suit only because sony is making their consumers pay $150 to fix a MANDITORY update.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSquared View Post
Could someone please help me understand how the update can be mandatory? Can't you choose to not download and install it? If you don't have your PS3 hooked up to the internet, I don't think you will get the update. It it is hooked up to the internet for online gaming and BD Live, are they forcing the update before you can do anything else with the machine?
No, if your PS3 is not hooked up, it will not get the update, but like you said if you want to do online gaming, or access BD live, the PS3 would tell you a mandatory update is available before you can do that
Old 10-06-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSquared View Post
Well if you want to play any online multiplayer, you have to do the mandatory update first. I'm not to sure about the use of BD-Live.

And your right, if the PS3 isnt connected to the internet, then you wont receive any notifications about updates.

But 3.00 was mandatory, if you want to go online, you have to download. 3.01 totally optional. However 3.01 was the "fix" for the Uncharted issues.
So it fixes the game by frakking up the drive, so you cant see the problem anymore.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterDance View Post
I agree with the suit only because sony is making their consumers pay $150 to fix a MANDITORY update.
yeah, screw sony for sticking to the terms of their warranty!
the only people who have to pay $150 for a PS3 repair are people who are out of warranty. If your BD drive dies after applying the 3.0 update and you're still covered, guess what? Sony'll repair it for free.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterDance View Post
I totally agree too, something like this should be handled by the company FREE of charge.

Its not like all of this people downloaded 3.00 and then poured water into the systems vent will it was on.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwoodJD View Post
Of course, a class action lawsuit isn't proof of firmware-based problems either, but it does tend to support the notion that this is a more widespread problem than a handful of people.
it doesn't even support that. all it means is some lawyer say the words 'sony' and 'class action' and then saw $$$$$$$$$.
I doubt this will go anywhere at all.