Making Movie Files Work - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-08-2006, 04:01 PM

Default Making Movie Files Work

So I have a bunch of trailers that ive placed on a Memory Stick Pro Duo(tried a flash drive too) and their all Quicktime Files, movie trailers in 1080p and I cannot get the PS3 to detect them. Any clue what gives?
Old 12-08-2006, 04:12 PM

If the files can be played on the PS3 they should play.

For the PS3 to see the files they need to be put in a folder that says either Photos, Music, Videos. It has to match the XMB header.

If they are not in a folder with that name you can still get to them by going to the media stick on the XMB and pressing triangle and Display All.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentokTheMindTaker View Post
If the files can be played on the PS3 they should play.

For the PS3 to see the files they need to be put in a folder that says either Photos, Music, Videos. It has to match the XMB header.

If they are not in a folder with that name you can still get to them by going to the media stick on the XMB and pressing triangle and Display All.
yea, ive tried that exact method and it opens them up but it shows no files. I thought Quicktime files worked.... I know like MP4 works (more or less a quick time file) I downloaded these vids right from Apples site too
Old 12-08-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
yea, ive tried that exact method and it opens them up but it shows no files. I thought Quicktime files worked.... I know like MP4 works (more or less a quick time file) I downloaded these vids right from Apples site too
If they were made with the MP4 codec, then use the program Yamb. Open the mov in Yamb and click mux. It will convert that file to a standard MP4 container MP4 which will work in the ps3.This program does not recompress files so you don't need to worry about losing quality. This will also need to be done with files made in Nero Digital, that's what I use to encode all of my PS3 videos.

Last edited by morphinapg; 12-08-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:32 AM

this is driving me nuts. for example, it does some, but then on others it says it failed and never converts it...ggrrr. and then for example, some that if finished still dont work while others, doing the same thing do.

For example, I have a bunch of Quicktime 1080p trailers from Apple's site. Most worked. (all MP4) then I have a movie I ripped from my DVD, pirates of the caribbean 1 and thats ripped in MP4 and then I used the program, turned them all into mpeg-4 and the trailers work but not the movie after i put them on the PS3....

Last edited by illegalprelude; 12-11-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
this is driving me nuts. for example, it does some, but then on others it says it failed and never converts it...ggrrr. and then for example, some that if finished still dont work while others, doing the same thing do.

For example, I have a bunch of Quicktime 1080p trailers from Apple's site. Most worked. (all MP4) then I have a movie I ripped from my DVD, pirates of the caribbean 1 and thats ripped in MP4 and then I used the program, turned them all into mpeg-4 and the trailers work but not the movie after i put them on the PS3....
All I know is that when I use Yamb, files made from Quicktime HD and Nero Digital work just fine, what programs are you using to make your MP4s?
Old 12-11-2006, 05:55 PM

its a program on my Mac called Handbreak.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:08 PM

Quote:
its a program on my Mac called Handbreak.
Well I don't think I can help you there, try putting one of those MP4s on to one of your PCs, and try the program yamb.

http://yamb.unite-video.com/Yamb-1.6.exe

Click the mux tab, import the mp4, and click mux, it will make sure your mp4 has all the standard mp4 properties and will work in ps3.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:14 PM

do you know any good ripping software for the PC? cause yea, thats what ive been doing. I rip it on my Mac, I have that networked with my PC, i transfer them on my PC, i use Yamb and click the Mux, it goes through its tango and it finishes them. Size wise, they come out the same exact so if I ripped the entire movie @ 1.4GB in MP4, it brings it out to 1.4GB in Mpeg 4. Plays fine on my Mac and PC. Then I slap them on my Memory Stick or burn them on a DVD, they still play fine on my PC and Mac, then I take them onto the PS3 and it says "Unsupported Format"

Last edited by MentokTheMindTaker; 12-11-2006 at 06:19 PM. Reason: softwere. So funny I died.