Church of England May Sue over Resistance: FoM - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-09-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Church of England May Sue over Resistance: FoM

Get this from BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...er/6736809.stm

Quote:
The Church of England is considering legal action against entertainment firm Sony for featuring Manchester Cathedral in a violent PlayStation video game.

The Church says Sony did not obtain permission to use the interior in the war game Resistance: Fall of Man.

The game, which has sold more than one million copies, shows a virtual shoot-out in the cathedral's nave in which hundreds of enemies are killed.

Sony said it believed it had sought all necessary permission for the game.

'Not reality'

The company said in a statement: "Sony Computer Entertainment Europe is aware of the concerns expressed by the Bishop of Manchester and the cathedral authorities... and we naturally take the concerns very seriously.

"Resistance: Fall of Man is a fantasy science fiction game and is not based on reality.

"We believe we have sought and received all permissions necessary for the creation of the game," the statement added.

The firm said it would be contacting the cathedral authorities on Monday "to understand their concerns in more detail".

'Beyond belief'

But the Church said Sony did not ask for permission to use the cathedral and has demanded an apology and the removal of the game from shop shelves - otherwise it would consider legal action.

Sony said the game was not based on reality

The Bishop of Manchester, the Rt Revd Nigel McCulloch, described the decision to feature the city's cathedral as "highly irresponsible" - especially in the light of Manchester's history of gun crime.

"It is well known that Manchester has a gun crime problem," he said.

"For a global manufacturer to re-create one of our great cathedrals with photo-realistic quality and then encourage people to have guns battles in the building is beyond belief and highly irresponsible.

"Here in Manchester we do all we can to support communities through our parish clergy. We know the reality of gun crime and the devastating effects it can have on lives. It is not a trivial matter."

We are shocked to see a place of learning, prayer and heritage being presented to the youth market as a location where guns can be fired

The Very Reverend Rogers Govender,
Dean of Manchester Cathedral

Patsy McKie from Mothers Against Violence, whose son Dorrie was killed in Manchester, said it was time to stand up to the makers of violent games.

"I believe it's something that needs to be taken seriously first by the Church but also by parents.

"There's a war going on - not just in Iraq, but right here on our doorstep."

The Dean of Manchester Cathedral, The Very Reverend Rogers Govender, also hit out at Sony's decision to feature the cathedral, claiming it was "undermining" the work of the church.

"We are shocked to see a place of learning, prayer and heritage being presented to the youth market as a location where guns can be fired.

"This is an important issue. For many young people these games offer a different sort of reality and seeing guns in Manchester Cathedral is not the sort of connection we want to make.

"Every year we invite hundreds of teenagers to come and see the cathedral and it is a shame to have Sony undermining our work."

'Mythical'

Sony described the game as being set "in an alternate and mythical version of Europe in the 1950's, in which the enemy are strange looking alien invaders seeking to destroy humanity".

Earlier, David Wilson, a Sony spokesman, told The Times newspaper: "It is game-created footage, it is not video or photography.

"It is entertainment, like Doctor Who or any other science fiction. It is not based on reality at all. Throughout the whole process we have sought permission where necessary."

EDIT: It just hit me that maybe this thread would be more at home in the Game Room. What do you think Mods?

Last edited by BanthaPoodoo; 06-09-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:05 PM

I agree to moving it there too. As far as the church side goes, its pretty sad. Dosent the church have better things to do then to look for lawsuits like this? Last time i checked, the place was a place for god and helping others, not looking to get rich off of random lawsuits.
Old 06-09-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
I agree to moving it there too. As far as the church side goes, its pretty sad. Dosent the church have better things to do then to look for lawsuits like this? Last time i checked, the place was a place for god and helping others, not looking to get rich off of random lawsuits.
Yeah, and I don't recall shooting any priests while playing through that portion of the game. And actually, If you think about it, wasn't the charachter in the game protecting the cathedral on the whole scope of things? I mean what else could you do if a landmark cathedral and it's surrounding areas were overrun by alien mutants? Oh wait... that would never happen because it's NOT REAL.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:30 PM

<deletes own message about churches being hypocritical and self-serving>
Old 06-11-2007, 04:23 PM

You can tell that they are doing this because they are looking to draw media attention to gun violence. I mean how does a World War2 Science Fiction game reflect on current society at all? It's pure poppy-cock.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:50 PM

The church has every right to be upset. No premission was asked to use this landmark and the game goes against views of the church. The Cathloic's believe in one God creating the Heavens and Earth and creating animals, plants, and people on earth. The Bible does not say on the 8th day God created an alien race. And then the gun violence... its bad enough when their is a reason for it to be in a church like in some movies and games where they are trying to excape the forces of satan but this game had NO reason to be there. And it wasn't a generic church it was a specific church. Lets see how upset you would be if your EXACT house down to the stuff in you fridge is featured in a game where the charictor residing there is some thing your not. Because basicly same concept. I actualy hope that if Sony wont do some thing about it that the Vatican steps in as well.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:18 PM

Funny that the church gets upset over a game??

It's not like church/religion hasn't killed millions of people over the centuries and continue to do so!!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:43 PM

the manchester cathedral is not part of the catholic church. they're part of the ANGLICAN church.

you know, the one henry viii created so that he could divorce, since the catholic church refused to let him?

the idea of the vatican getting involved in this is pretty funny.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPBuff22 View Post
The church has every right to be upset. No premission was asked to use this landmark and the game goes against views of the church. The Cathloic's believe in one God creating the Heavens and Earth and creating animals, plants, and people on earth. The Bible does not say on the 8th day God created an alien race. And then the gun violence... its bad enough when their is a reason for it to be in a church like in some movies and games where they are trying to excape the forces of satan but this game had NO reason to be there. And it wasn't a generic church it was a specific church. Lets see how upset you would be if your EXACT house down to the stuff in you fridge is featured in a game where the charictor residing there is some thing your not. Because basicly same concept. I actualy hope that if Sony wont do some thing about it that the Vatican steps in as well.
I can see it from this perspective too (All except for the Vatican part as winston pointed out ). It's a respectable moral stance that they've taken. I mean, what sane person ISN'T against gun violence? Although, I disagree with their implied point that games like RFoM cause guncrimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by septic death View Post
Funny that the church gets upset over a game??

It's not like church/religion hasn't killed millions of people over the centuries and continue to do so!!
Seriously, BELIEVE ME , I'm no fan of organized religion myself, but I've never 100% agreed with that statement. Afterall, some of the worst crimes against humanity in the previous century were perpetrated by those who adhered to the ideas behind evolution and natural selection (i.e. Hitler and Stalin). It's more accurate to say that "extremist ideology" has killed COUNTLESS millions. And, true, the abuse of religion has played a major role in that extremism. But it's not fair to lump ALL religion into that category.

(Because of the controversial and incindiary nature of that opinion, feel free to respectfully disagree and post your thoughts, but I probably wont continue a discussion on that particular issue. )
Old 06-11-2007, 07:37 PM

For the first time ever in one of these 'video nasty' stories, almost every media report took a mocking stance towards the Church of England on this issue.

It seems video games are at last being treated as an equal to movies.