PS3 as primary BR/DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-07-2007, 11:07 AM

Default PS3 as primary BR/DVD

I would like to get rid of my upscalling DVD player and use the PS3 as my main media interface for my HDTV (BR/DVD/Games).
Does anyone have any input on how this would effect the life of the PS3?
I am worried that my $600 machine will need replacement in 1-2 yrs if I use it ALL the time.

Thanks,
Old 06-07-2007, 11:52 AM

well, no one has owned one for 1-2 years yet.. so it's kinda impossible to tell..

I've run mine for over a month straight. When I wasn't gaming or watchin movies, it was [email protected] It didn't overheat once.. seems well made to me.. no idea what it'll do over it's life though. It's a piece of equipment like anything else. Well made though.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cieljek View Post
well, no one has owned one for 1-2 years yet.. so it's kinda impossible to tell..

I've run mine for over a month straight. When I wasn't gaming or watchin movies, it was [email protected] It didn't overheat once.. seems well made to me.. no idea what it'll do over it's life though. It's a piece of equipment like anything else. Well made though.
Even if the CPU is totally invincible, the Blu-ray drive might crap out on you. Although the rest of the machine is a powerhouse and very durably made, I am curious as to the actual build quality of the Blu-ray drive. I wonder if it will have similar problems that plagued the PS2.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:17 PM

Well from what I'm told the Blu-ray drive isn't as durable as the drive in stand-alone players. If used as a full time BD drive it will probably go out much sooner.

Which if this is the case, sucks for me. I play a lot of games on mine, but it's also my only BD player.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Always SpartanJohnson

That's what I've been worried about for the drives, what would Sony do if almost 90% of all the Blu-ray drives crappedout next year. Not everyone has the money to go out and replace them or fix them (not to mention the scratching the system would go through) and would affect blu-ray sales.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:05 PM

I have been using mine as mainly a BD player I play games on it as well but mostly watch movies on it. I have had no problems yet and hopefully I won't because it is my primary blu-ray player at the time. I do have the three year warranty from target though so I could judt get a replacement. but I hope it wont come to that.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:53 PM

Since the drive is 2x, it should last longer then say a fast 12x.. right?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:20 PM

Why, it should last 6 times longer!
Old 06-07-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanJohnson View Post
That's what I've been worried about for the drives, what would Sony do if almost 90% of all the Blu-ray drives crappedout next year. Not everyone has the money to go out and replace them or fix them (not to mention the scratching the system would go through) and would affect blu-ray sales.
they would do what MS is doing with all the dying 360's?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_GangGreen View Post
I would like to get rid of my upscalling DVD player and use the PS3 as my main media interface for my HDTV (BR/DVD/Games).
Does anyone have any input on how this would effect the life of the PS3?
I am worried that my $600 machine will need replacement in 1-2 yrs if I use it ALL the time.

Thanks,
My launch PS2 still runs like a champ after very, very heavy usage. And like someone said, the PS3 drive is only 2X so the mechanics aren't being overworked.