Sony Won't 'Rule Out' PS3 Price Reduction - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-06-2007, 01:20 PM
HDD Founder

Default Sony Won't 'Rule Out' PS3 Price Reduction

Quote:
Adding further fuel to speculation that the $600 Blu-ray enabled PlayStation 3 is headed for a price cut, Sony President Ryoji Chubachi seemed to suggest to a Japanese newspaper that that the company is indeed considering such a move.

This news comes on the heels of a surprise price drop for Sony's brand new BDP-300 Blu-ray player, which hits stores this week at a $499 MSRP -- that's $100 cheaper than originally announced back in February.

"Sony does not rule out the possibility of lowering the price" of the PS3, Sony president Ryoji Chubachi told the daily Yomiuri Shimbun. He went on to say that the company would make a "full assessment" of the competitive situation in the game market, and then make a decision.
Full story:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/683
Old 06-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

although the PS3 is worth the $600 price tag, not very many gamers are willing (or can afford) to drop that much for it... so if a price cut does come soon, it should def make an impact on buyers. I don't expect it to sell like candy until it is priced like candy
Old 06-06-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrENGLISH View Post
although the PS3 is worth the $600 price tag, not very many gamers are willing (or can afford) to drop that much for it... so if a price cut does come soon, it should def make an impact on buyers. I don't expect it to sell like candy until it is priced like candy
Hard to sell candy priced like filet mignon huh?

Yeah, I agree... the PS3 is worth the 6 bills... but at that price, you're limiting your market to those that want one, but cannot afford one. If they lower the price they will definitely get more sales.

I think that's pretty much a given.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:16 PM

Default What about a UK price drop?

I'd be interested to see whether Sony follow suit on this in the UK. We haven't even seen the first stand alone Blu-Ray player from Sony yet, and this is quoted as having an RRP of around 800 ($1500) when released.
With those kind of figures involved it's no wonder no-one is jumping into the format. I have an XBox360 with the HD-DVD add-on, and would like very much to purchase a stand-alone Blu-Ray player in adddition. There's no chance however of me forking out 800 for a player, and I've no desire to buy another games console.
A price cut on the PS3 will no-doubt see a short-term hike in sales numbers, but I think a strategy such as Microsoft's initial one on the 360 (ie. heavily subsidising the unit) is needed to really boost sales and sway the format war in Blu-Ray's favour.

Last edited by pow; 06-06-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:28 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
remember, the magic number for home systems is $300, a price that the 360 does have on its "low end" model. Unless they can drop the PS3 to around $400, they are not gonna make a huge impact. I, like many others, am not going to fork over &400+ for a video game system that doesn't offer any new or interesting games. yes, I know resistence is the best thing on the system, but is it really anything more than a rehash of some older FPS titles.

I am going to get rid of my 360 HD drive and get the Toshiba HD-XA2. from what I have read about it and all otheer HD DVD or BD players, is that it is the best HD player and SD upscaler out there right now.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:07 PM

The PS3 is a great deal at $600 but Sony really needed to do this before the bottom gave out on them.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
The PS3 is not worth $600 under any circumstances now with the release of the $499 bluray player coming out. Actually neither are worth that much money considering we are paying an enormous premium to enjoy being an early adapter of a new format and or console. Having said that I still think
that the PS3 even @ $499 for the 60GB does nothing for most folks because
its gaming aspect leaves alot to be desired considering the lack of reputable games currently out. I think Sony is letting Toshiba back into the picture with HD-DVD in a big way when they could have possible settled the whole format war months ago.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsOfWar View Post
The PS3 is not worth $600 under any circumstances now with the release of the $499 bluray player coming out. Actually neither are worth that much money considering we are paying an enormous premium to enjoy being an early adapter of a new format and or console. Having said that I still think
that the PS3 even @ $499 for the 60GB does nothing for most folks because
its gaming aspect leaves alot to be desired considering the lack of reputable games currently out. I think Sony is letting Toshiba back into the picture with HD-DVD in a big way when they could have possible settled the whole format war months ago.
here comes the anti-sony boys. surprise surprise. good thing the name dosent give him away as a potential 360 fanboy
Old 06-06-2007, 04:53 PM

i'm all for a price reduction. Especially if it means more people adopt blu-ray as their main format!
Old 06-06-2007, 05:22 PM

I'll take it for 400 alex...as a GAME console.