Are the days of free online play numbered?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-02-2009, 12:59 PM

Default Are the days of free online play numbered??

With Sony continuing to post big losses and in the recent news of them slashing prices of their hdtv's and cutting the manufacturing costs of the PS3, something has to give...imho. I hope I am wrong but I can see Sony taking the Xbox Live approach and start charging us for our online gaming. It just seems inevitable. Again, I HOPE I am wrong. What do you guys and gals think?

Thanks for all responses!!
Old 08-02-2009, 04:44 PM

Microsoft charges because XBL has a lot of unique features that the PSN doesn't offer. If Sony were to add those features on a subscription basis, but still make just regular online gaming free, I'd pay for it.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:10 PM

Without some major additions to the service, there is no way I'd pay for for online gaming with Sony. HOME is of zero interest to me, and there is nothing else as of now that they would be able to charge for. It may happen in the future, but Sony would have to REALLY bump up their offerings to convince anybody it's worth paying for.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reamer71 View Post
Without some major additions to the service, there is no way I'd pay for for online gaming with Sony. HOME is of zero interest to me, and there is nothing else as of now that they would be able to charge for. It may happen in the future, but Sony would have to REALLY bump up their offerings to convince anybody it's worth paying for.
Agreed. HOME has never really interested me either. Do you think Sony will add those significant additions to justify paying for online or do you think Sony is, for the most part, content with their online site??
Old 08-02-2009, 08:06 PM

Speaking of Home, I will say this. It has been significantly enhanced since I was in the beta. That was the last time I really toyed around with it. On a whim, I checked it out last night and ended up spending a few hours there. Tons of mini-games, different poker rooms, golf games, racing spaces...All kinds of shit. I think the thing about Home is to keep it limited in visits, maybe check it out every few months and spend a few hours catching up with all the new games and game spaces. Unless one is out for social-interaction online, it doesn't have a strong appeal, but as a gamer - I can say I really had a good time wasting a few hours in there last night.