Will a firmware update make the PS3 BD-J compatible? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-04-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Will a firmware update make the PS3 BD-J compatible?

I currently am an HD-DVD owner, but looking forward to Blu-Ray when the prices come down and BD-J is done. I see a lot trashing of the PS3 in the smackdown forums, but now I read that the new firmware update makes it so the PS3 can upscale S-DVD??? If this is possible, then is it also possible that a firmware update will make the PS3 BD-J compatible?

If so, then I am thinking more and more the PS3 may be a good option for me to get into Blu-Ray. Then not only would Blu-Ray's up and coming interactivity be available when it is done, I would have access to great games as well...

I'm sorry if this has been addressed somewhere else, I didn't find it.

Paul
Old 06-04-2007, 02:15 PM

I honestly dont see this idea as being that far fetched. I beleive the unit meets/exceeds the hardware specs needed for BD-J. In fact, I thought it was BD-J capable. I could be wrong, but condsider this...$500 for Sony's new BD player coming out, $600 for the PS3 which doubles as a game system (although lacks 5.1 analog out). IMO, the PS3 was a steal from the get go for BD early adopters.

*Important note (& off topic): I have been reading that the PS3 in incapable of ouputing the HD bitstreams to the new Onkyo HD capable receivers. If you dont need the gaming system aspect of the PS3, I would personally wait for the next-gen players.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:17 PM

Sony will most certainly update the PS3 with features such as BD-J. The PS3 is already the most standards compliant BD player on the market. When discs start to require more features, the PS3 will be updated as needed.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
I have been reading that the PS3 in incapable of ouputing the HD bitstreams to the new Onkyo HD capable receivers.
But uncompressed 5.1 or higher audio is sent out LPCM, not bitstream as far as I know. I'm confused by your statement.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
But uncompressed 5.1 or higher audio is sent out LPCM, not bitstream as far as I know. I'm confused by your statement.
I will send you a PM since continuation of this discussion is thread hijacking and I dont want to do that to Paul. I know how frustrating it is to look for an answer and it goes off topic.

Last edited by doctornd; 06-04-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
I will send you a PM since continuation of this discussion is tread hijacking and I dont want to do that to Paul. I know how frustrating it is to look for an answer and it goes off topic.
Thanks doc...it seems to me that the PS3 has a hard drive and a processor and is therefore actually a computer...and what are computers if not software upgradable? The hardware end might bother me though...currently I have a Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS decoder in my receiver...other than that, I wouldn't be capable of decoding anything else...

Paul
Old 06-04-2007, 02:49 PM

Dont take my word for it though. I remember there being something about the hardware requirements, but I am not completely sure about the PS3. There was a bit of info on a press release if you can sift through the Blu-Ray news on this site regarding the requirements.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:12 PM

like others stated, I dont see why not. The PS3 meets more then hardware specs to preform such a task so I think its just a matter of time before they release a software update but I also dont thinkt hat update will come till Fall because thats when all players need to have some form of BD-J standard
Old 06-04-2007, 03:14 PM
Banned

There is an error to say that any Blu-ray player is not BD-J capable. The G1 standalones have firmware updates that enable the BD-J content, and the PS3 has always been BD-J compliant. These new regulations are just for a new version of BD-J, and the PS3 should fit the bill perfectly.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:16 PM

Isn't the PS3 BD-J compatible now? I'm pretty sure it is, on both Pirates of the Caribbean discs, I think there are BD-J interactive games. Scoundrels Of The Sea on Black Pearl and Liar's Dice on Dead Man's Chest. Correct me if I'm wrong.