PS3 audio decoding - help - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-25-2009, 02:07 PM

Question PS3 audio decoding - help

Hello all,

I'm new here, and after spending some time reading through the threads it seemed like a good place to ask technical questions.

So ...

Can the PS3 internally decode DTS ES 6.1 (that is discrete 6.1 channel, not matrixed DTS ES 5.1) from a DVD and pass this as 6.1 LPCM to an external surround processor over HDMI?

Likewise, can it internally decode DTS HD MA 6.1 (again, not 5.1) from a BD and pass this over HDMI to an external processor as 6.1 LPCM?

I get essentially no sound playback from my system in the above two scenarios, just some quiet background sound with no audible dialog. My processor display says its receiving 2 ch (downmixed from 6.1?). The PS3 display correctly says DTS ES (discrete) 6.1 or DTS HD MA 6.1.

This all leads me to believe the PS3 is not doing the decoding on these formats. Does anyone know for sure? It does decode and works normally with DTS ES 5.1 and DTS HD MA 5.1.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayyou View Post
Hello all,

I'm new here, and after spending some time reading through the threads it seemed like a good place to ask technical questions.

So ...

Can the PS3 internally decode DTS ES 6.1 (that is discrete 6.1 channel, not matrixed DTS ES 5.1) from a DVD and pass this as 6.1 LPCM to an external surround processor over HDMI?

Likewise, can it internally decode DTS HD MA 6.1 (again, not 5.1) from a BD and pass this over HDMI to an external processor as 6.1 LPCM?

I get essentially no sound playback from my system in the above two scenarios, just some quiet background sound with no audible dialog. My processor display says its receiving 2 ch (downmixed from 6.1?). The PS3 display correctly says DTS ES (discrete) 6.1 or DTS HD MA 6.1.

This all leads me to believe the PS3 is not doing the decoding on these formats. Does anyone know for sure? It does decode and works normally with DTS ES 5.1 and DTS HD MA 5.1.

Thanks!
Yes to all of the above, the PS3 can decode them and send to your receiver via HDMI. You do have to select all the output options in your PS3 audio setup, maybe that is causing your problems.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:08 PM

jcc,

Thanks for your response.

I do have all the available audio outputs selected under manual in the PS3 sound menu. Interestingly, there is no LPCM 6.1 in the list, only 2, 5.1, and 7.1 at various sampling rates. And BTW, I have the latest firmware version 2.8.

So I'm still not convinced there is internal decoding of DTS ES 6.1 and DTS HD MA 6.1. Are you in fact able to do so?
Old 07-26-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayyou View Post
jcc,

Thanks for your response.

I do have all the available audio outputs selected under manual in the PS3 sound menu. Interestingly, there is no LPCM 6.1 in the list, only 2, 5.1, and 7.1 at various sampling rates. And BTW, I have the latest firmware version 2.8.

So I'm still not convinced there is internal decoding of DTS ES 6.1 and DTS HD MA 6.1. Are you in fact able to do so?
Which movies do you have with those sound options?

I have played some 6.1 movies, but come to think of it, they were DTS ES 6.1, and I set to bitstream (which is limited to 1.5Mbit on the PS3), so maybe it won't decode internally.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:10 AM

hmm i was going to say yes too, but now you got me wondering

you could always test this though, see if you have sound coming out of your rear speaker then you would know for sure