Will PS3 ever *bitstream* lossless? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-08-2009, 09:32 PM

Default Will PS3 ever *bitstream* lossless?

I has to get a stand alone blu-ray so i can heard lossless sound, since ps3 don't support it, i did try ps3 and the stand alone, side by side i can hear more and lounder at the same volume compare to ps3, also picture is slight better especially in dvd. Also i has the older 60gb one, which use more heats = noise, is pass warrantly, i don't wanted to break my ps3, since they no longer make ps3 that play ps2/1 games. And ps3 use nearly 10 times more watts than stand alone. It seems to me play blu-ray movie it cause more heats and noise than play game.

I currently had the Panasonic BD605k from sams club, might return it if ps3 has a bitstream hd sound update, or when lg bd 390 drop.
THX certifies speaker and subwoofer wire
System 7.1 Speakers 1200 Watts
6 SANUS SYSTEMS BF-24B Speaker Stand
DishNetwork with Turbo HD Cable Programming
PSN: MaxR37 Lv 4 11% in Trophy
Old 06-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Not unless they do some type of hardware revision, which I doubt will ever happen since it already has an solution for HD audio formats (converting them to PCM). Be glad that we got DTS-HD decoding.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikulanikader View Post
I has to get a stand alone blu-ray so i can heard lossless sound, since ps3 don't support it, i did try ps3 and the stand alone, side by side i can hear more and lounder at the same volume compare to ps3, also picture is slight better especially in dvd. Also i has the older 60gb one, which use more heats = noise, is pass warrantly, i don't wanted to break my ps3, since they no longer make ps3 that play ps2/1 games. And ps3 use nearly 10 times more watts than stand alone. It seems to me play blu-ray movie it cause more heats and noise than play game.

I currently had the Panasonic BD605k from sams club, might return it if ps3 has a bitstream hd sound update, or when lg bd 390 drop.
No, your model PS3 - 60GB (or any other current models) - will never be able to bitstream TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio. The HDMI connector is not fully HDMI 1.3a compliant, a requirement to bitstream TrueHD/DTS Master Audio. But you're not quite correct in saying that you'll never {hear} lossless audio, and that the PS3 doesn't support it. The PS3 can decode both TrueHD and DTS Master Audio internally, and output it as PCM to your receiver. Your receiver/speakers sound louder when the audio is bitstreamed from your standalone because that is what your receiver is designed and optimized to do - decode TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. But, "louder" does not mean "better". Turn up the volume and it will sound just as good decoded by the PS3 as it does bitstreamed from your standalone.

I do appreciate what you're saying - I prefer my standalones and the receiver doing the decoding. Using lower volume on the receiver uses less electricity and less strain on the receiver. But, I just need to point out that the PS3 supports lossless just as well as any standalone, just differently.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:55 PM

What ^ said. You bring up some good reasons for owning a standalone...except for audio. Don't fall for the okey doke--PS3 decodes lossless audio just fine.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Your receiver/speakers sound louder when the audio is bitstreamed from your standalone because that is what your receiver is designed and optimized to do - decode TrueHD and DTS Master Audio. But, "louder" does not mean "better". Turn up the volume and it will sound just as good decoded by the PS3 as it does bitstreamed from your standalone.

I do appreciate what you're saying - I prefer my standalones and the receiver doing the decoding. Using lower volume on the receiver uses less electricity and less strain on the receiver. But, I just need to point out that the PS3 supports lossless just as well as any standalone, just differently.
Cochise, do you have any references for the "louder when bitstreaming" thing??? I've never heard of that. Anyways, the PS3 will never be able to bitstream to high def codecs. It's impossible for a yellow pumpkin to become a golden carriage.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Maybe the upcomming slimline PS3 that is comming will have a different HDMI chip. Would seem to cut into their own market but it could happen.