PSN Connectivity Issues - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Formerly weaponX6282

PSN Connectivity Issues

I have been having serious issues with the PSN lately. Last night I must have tried to download the updates for LittleBigPlanet (I just bought it) for about 45 miutes unsuccessfully. Each time the status bar would get to about 12% and I would get a message at the top of the screen that tells me that I have been disconnected from the media server and then it would give me an error code and I would have to restart the process. I'm not having difficulty signing in to the PSN initially, but it wont stay logged in long enough for me to download these updates.

Also, whenever I turn the playstation on, start a game, or quit a game, every wireless device in the house gets booted. I've tried the open dns tactic but that doesn't seem to help. It's not a router signal strength issue because the router is only about 20 feet away but it's separated by two walls (a hallway) and my blackberry will connect even further away as will our laptop.

The question is: is this a PSN issue a router issue or is there something else I can try to get this to work better?

I'm not trying to make this smackdown, but my Xbox360 will connect to live with ease and have no problems and the wii seems to connect alright as well and neither of those two systems will boot anyone off the connection. Needless to say I'm not a network guru, but I do know a few things.... just not enough to diagnose this issue. I think it may have something to do with conflicting IPs, but I can't figure out why or how to fix it.

I've pretty much resolved myself to buying a new router since my old one has been around for a while and it requires periodic resets to get it to work properly. Any recommendations on a new router? I've been considering the D-Link DGL-4500. I'd like to stay under the $150 range, but if I need to upgrade beyond that I guess I will have to do it.

Help me HDD members, you're my only hope.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 PM

i use a belkin wireless n but i'm hard wired

i've been having initial sign in problems and the occasional boot but nothing like what you're experiencing

have you set your nat type to 2 and all that jazz? i know lbp gives you an error message saying that you'll have trouble playing with other players if you don't have it set to type 2
Old 05-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Formerly weaponX6282

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
i use a belkin wireless n but i'm hard wired

i've been having initial sign in problems and the occasional boot but nothing like what you're experiencing

have you set your nat type to 2 and all that jazz? i know lbp gives you an error message saying that you'll have trouble playing with other players if you don't have it set to type 2
I'm all squared away with the nat type 2. I cannot even take LBP on-line since it wont download the patches to make the game compatible with on-line play. I'm seriously considering crawling around in the attic and doing some wall drops in order to hard wire everything. it is seriously getting ridiculous.

Thanks for the reply though!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:47 PM

i used to go wireless but it was such a pain in the ass getting dropped all the time is the reason i moved everything around, but since i plugged the cable in i haven't had many problems at all
Old 05-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Formerly weaponX6282

Doing the wall drops would be the most economically sound thing to do, but it would require me to get up in my insanely hot attic to do it. I think I know what I need to do. Thanks again!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:12 PM

Your router type and internet provider would help in giving advice.

I recently ran into DNS issues with RoadRunner and my LinkSys router. I ended up replacing the router with a Belkin wireless even though the issue ended up being RoadRunner's DNS interacting badly with the PS3. I switched to the open DNS IP addresses to fix the problem. The new router supports more network types so it still worked out for me. My LinkSys WRT54G router has had several issues with the PS3 (some fixed with PS3 and/or router firmware updates) so it was easier to just replace it.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Disable DLNA (media sharing), many of the older Linksys routers (including the one I own) have a problem where when the PS3 goes onlien with media sharing enabled it will kick everything else off the network. I heard updating the firmware on your router should fix the problem, but it was just easier for me to disable it and use my 360 for streaming...
Old 05-27-2009, 09:13 PM

I have been getting some disconnecting issues lately too, but nothing truly worrisome yet

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 AM

so did you get anything figured out?

i saw some of your scores pop up when my wife was playing lbp last night so i figured all is well
Old 05-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Formerly weaponX6282

yeah, I hardwired it to the router to do the update and it worked fine. It's weird, I can play online with it wireless, I just need to plug it in to download firmware updates. When I buy stuff from the store I can do that wireless as well. needless to say I'm confused..... I'm going to try out a new router and go on from there. I'm probably going to get something that will allow a wireless-n bridge so as not to lose too much in the transition. it'll be fun shopping and spending $$$ that I would much rather spend on blus or games.

My fiance loves LBP. She's getting frustrated with it though because it works in 3D and she's not used to playing a side scroller that plays that way.