Vacuuming the vents on a PS3..a good idea?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-18-2009, 02:00 PM

Default Vacuuming the vents on a PS3..a good idea??

I was reading an article about this ''yellow light of death'' issue that has been popping up on the net recently. According to the article, mostly the initial launch consoles, 20G and 60G, are the ones being affected. There was mention that necessary system updates (PSN related) between 2.40 and 2.76 may be the cause. Then I was reading some of the comments to the article, which can be found here: www.n4g.com. One of the comments was that if you take a vacuum attachment and run it thru the vents of your PS3, it would help your PS3 from dust build up in the system which also could be a contributor to this YLOD. Has anybody tried this before and is it a safe way to ''clean'' your PS3 from dust?? I dust my PS3 off 2-3 times a week and the shelf it sits on. Never had a problem with my PS3 but this whole YLOD thing and necessary system updates link has me a bit worried..especially since I went online two weeks ago and I am currently on 2.76. I played COD 4 and Resistance 2 after I updated to 2.76 and had no probs at all. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all responses!
Old 05-18-2009, 02:14 PM

i vacuum the vents on mine probably once every couple months, haven't had any issues with it
Old 05-18-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
i vacuum the vents on mine probably once every couple months, haven't had any issues with it
I have never heard of doing this to a PS3 before. I have had my PS3 for a little over 3 years. Always dusted it weekly and I do wipe the vents (front and right side) with my hand. Is this good enough?? Also, if I take a vaccum to the PS3's vents, am I not also circulating the dust inside and making the problem worse?? I just dont want to put more dust into my PS3 while vaccuming the vents to get dust out.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:22 PM

honestly i don't know if any of it matters, as long as it's ventilated i wouldn't think you'd have problems

i started vacuuming mine after i unhooked it one day and saw all the shit clogged in the back, but i have cats and their hair gets everywhere but since then i've upgraded my tv/stand so it has a lot more room to breath and doesn't collect as much

but i don't think you'd be making it any worse if you use a vacuum hose to the side or back vent
Old 05-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Watcher of stances

the "YLOD" is not en epidemic nor effecting large numbers of units.

however, regular dusting/cleaning of any electronic device is pretty standard. i take everything to the garage and hit it with the air compressor on a regular basis.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:16 PM

My PS3 is in a closed entertainment cabinet. I open the doors whenever I use it so ventalation is not a problem. No cats. Honestly..when I do dust my PS3, it looks pretty damn clean that I almost just want to skip dusting it. I think I may be a bit worried about something that is not really to worry about. All the same...I think I will take a look in the back tomomrow and just see what has gathered..if anything. Thanks nmcmahan and michealo.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:19 AM

The PS3 also has a self cleaning function. Where the unti "fans" itself out. I do not remember the exact steps to take. they are documented online though.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKain View Post
The PS3 also has a self cleaning function. Where the unti "fans" itself out. I do not remember the exact steps to take. they are documented online though.
This is only available on some specific models, iirc.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:58 AM

http://www.gamegrep.com/news/8630-pl...evity_for_ps3/
Old 05-19-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvers24 View Post
Thanks for the link. I did find a good way to clean your PS3 via a fan test (thanks to your link). You hold the eject button when you turn the switch on in the back. You will hear the fan pushing out the air. It stops like after 20 seconds or so and you see a blinking red light. Turn the switch off, then back on, and then touch the power button on the front-right side of your PS3. Seems to be a good alternative.