HELP!!! 1.8 Update screwed up sound on bd/dvds! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 PM

Default HELP!!! 1.8 Update screwed up sound on bd/dvds!

Ok, im seriously hoping this is just a matter of one of the default settings needing to be changed. I am using a sony surround sound system and my ps3 connects to my receiver via hdmi for video and an optical audio cable. I have to turn my surround sound system all the way up to the max to hear the audio. in addition, i cant hear characters talking unless i set my receiver to "movie b" - the setting for sci-fi and action movies. and even then, the voices all sound echo-ie. if i chose any other setting, including the setting to have all the sound come out of the front 2 speakers or all 5 speakers evenly, i cant hear any dialog at all!

any idea what could be causing this problem?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:16 PM

do games sound fine though?
Old 05-28-2007, 11:46 PM

It probaly needs changed to bitstream. In BD settings audio you find it.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:00 AM

Lightbulb

Just a shot in the dark here, but is your optical cable seated properly??

Also you mentioned you have both the HDMI and Optical connected to your receiver?? Unless your receiver strictly "passes through" HDMI signals, it may be able to accept the audio through the HDMI as well. In this case disconnect your optical audio cable and all you need is the HDMI cable for both audio and video.

Just make sure you lower the volume before testing it again!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Banned

I've noticed this problem as well. Sounds like everyone is mumbling.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowthyself View Post
I've noticed this problem as well. Sounds like everyone is mumbling.
A little more info please...how are you connecting video/audio to your reciever? Model of receiver?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
A little more info please...how are you connecting video/audio to your reciever? Model of receiver?

thank you everyone for replying and offering help. sorry i wasnt able to reply sooner.

my receiver is a sony str-k900. both the optical audio and hdmi go from my ps3 to "video 2" on my receiver. i honestly only purchased the optical audio cable because when i got my ps3, i could not get audio via hdmi. i called sony tech support and he said the ps3 could not output audio over hdmi and i had no choice but to hook it up that way.

I tried changing to bitstream and it was the same deal. sound effects and ambient noise were all i could hear. finally, i decided to unplug the optical audio and go with hdmi-only. i reconfigured the audio options for hdmi audio output, set it to automatic and it selected 2 channel linear PCM as the only option i could use! which is utter crap, since my 360 is outputting over all 5 speakers just fine. and although the ps3 says it identified 2 channels, i get ZERO AUDIO over hdmi. anyone have any idea whats up?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:07 PM

I dont know exactly what troubleshooting you have done, so forgive me for repeating proceedures if you're tried them.

First of all, it is nearly impossible to find specs/documentation on your receiver. I still suspect an issue with having both HDMI and optical hooked up. Forget bypassing HDMI, just start a movie and disconnect the HDMI from the reciever/PS3 whichever is easier and see what that does to the audio going through the optical if anything. Obviously you wont have a picture for a few minutes, but this is just to see what happens and to see if it has any effect on the optical.

KEEP YOUR VOLUME TURNED DOWN...I would hate to see you post that you blew your eardrums and speakers all the same time.

If the problem persists, reposition the optical connection from the PS3 to the port where the X360 is hooked up to on the reciever to see if there is a problem with the reciever optical port itself. Let me know what happens.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:09 PM

P.s. try (if there are settings for this) to change the signal type on the audio setup like analog/optical/coax. I dont know what your reciever is capable of exactly so I am just assuming there is some setting for this somewhere.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
P.s. try (if there are settings for this) to change the signal type on the audio setup like analog/optical/coax. I dont know what your reciever is capable of exactly so I am just assuming there is some setting for this somewhere.

thanks!!! i have a feeling that youre on to something here..... i'll scrounge around for that manual and see what i can find and let you and everyone else know, as it sounds like some other people were having similar problems.