Couple of questions regarding PSN.. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-30-2009, 04:06 AM

Default Couple of questions regarding PSN..

I, finally, got a router and I am going to go online with my pppps3 for the first time!! Just a couple of questions though I had..and I am sorry if this thread has been repeated before:

What is the average amount of download time for a:

movie trailer?
psn online game?
and, if anyone has one, the download time for the pppps3 eyetoy that requires a software download of some sort??

Thanks to all respondents! When I get online maybe I can play some deathmatch shooters with you. Would like to try out Warhawk, Call Of Duty 4 , Resistance, Killzone 2. I have never gone online with a game..EVER so I will be easy points for you,lol.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:38 PM

Nobody, huh?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:46 PM

wired/wireless?

movie trailers take probably 10 minutes or so depending on the size/speed

demos all depend on size/speed of your network, they vary so much i wouldn't be able to even give a guess
Old 04-30-2009, 05:49 PM

Agreed, there are so many variables it's hard to give any specifics. I can say I don't have any complaints with download times . . . generally speaking.

I can suggest that you look into downloading Super Stardust HD and Flower off the PSN store. Great games.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:23 PM

Thanks guys. I have a wireless network. Guess I will find out Saturday by doing what Huskerguy suggested. Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:14 PM

Well..I am hooked up to the Internet via my PS3..which is cool. However, when I tried to register for PSN it read the system needed an update and when I tried to update via the Internet it read an error had occurred with the server. A ''DNS'' error. I have an 87% signal strength so I am good with the Internet browser and all. I think it read that I needed the 2.70 update and I am currently on 2.42 update.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:23 PM

Hmm not sure about your DNS error, but I'm pretty sure 2.7 is the most recent. Congrats on finally getting her online. Now you can know the evil weekly temptations of the psn store .

It updates every Thurs if you weren't aware.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:32 PM

A few thoughts...

I've had a love/hate relationship with my PS3 internet connectivity. Generally, it's all good... however the DNS error problem you have is a HUGE widespread issue. I myself fought with it for months before finally getting it to work out alright. This problem can cause slow download speeds, random disconnects and be a HUGE pain in your ass. I had tried every recomended fix and nothing worked... What finally ended up fixing it for me was unplugging the console from the wall... AND the back of the console, as well as turnng the switch on the back of the unit to off. Seems the PS3 has a problem with power cycling and not disconnecting the cord itself will allow the problem to continue untreated. There are hundreds of posts in a thread about this issue on the official playstation forums, (including opeing ports and other router suggestions). I recommend you do what I did first though as it was the easiest and quickest solution and wouldn't you know, it worked the best.

As far as your other questions... From my experience using a wireless and wired internet connection, EVERYTHING on Xbox Live downloads about twice as quick as the same item on the playstation network. I'm probably wrong but it honestly seems like the PSN uses about half the servers that XBL does so downloads take much longer. Movie trailers are ok sometimes.. and online gaming has been ok the few times I've used it, but downloading demos and full games is torture. But again... I suppose you get what you pay for.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleHBK View Post
A few thoughts...

I've had a love/hate relationship with my PS3 internet connectivity. Generally, it's all good... however the DNS error problem you have is a HUGE widespread issue. I myself fought with it for months before finally getting it to work out alright. This problem can cause slow download speeds, random disconnects and be a HUGE pain in your ass. I had tried every recomended fix and nothing worked... What finally ended up fixing it for me was unplugging the console from the wall... AND the back of the console, as well as turnng the switch on the back of the unit to off. Seems the PS3 has a problem with power cycling and not disconnecting the cord itself will allow the problem to continue untreated. There are hundreds of posts in a thread about this issue on the official playstation forums, (including opeing ports and other router suggestions). I recommend you do what I did first though as it was the easiest and quickest solution and wouldn't you know, it worked the best.

As far as your other questions... From my experience using a wireless and wired internet connection, EVERYTHING on Xbox Live downloads about twice as quick as the same item on the playstation network. I'm probably wrong but it honestly seems like the PSN uses about half the servers that XBL does so downloads take much longer. Movie trailers are ok sometimes.. and online gaming has been ok the few times I've used it, but downloading demos and full games is torture. But again... I suppose you get what you pay for.
Here is something for you. I turn the switch in the back of PS3 to off and I unplug my PS3 from the wall after I am done using it. Tonight, I plugged it in and now it cant find the signal strength and I cant get the Internet to come on...even though my settings are all where they should be. It reads that it cannot find the access point(thanks for your input by the way). Any ideas what happened here?? I guess I should have kept the PS3 plugged in after I established the Internet connection in the first place?? Did I lose my previous settings/savings when I unplugged the PS3?? HELP!
Old 05-03-2009, 04:22 PM

I got your PM before reading this latest entry, so I don't know if you have since fixed the issue or not, but just in case anyone else needs the info...

Make sure your ps3 is set to wireless mode.. if it is then power cycle your modem router and ps3. Basically... do the following.

-Unplug the router from the wall
-Unplug the power cord from the router
-Unplug the modem from the wall
-Unplug the power cord from the modem.
-Turn off the ps3 by using the switch on the back
-Unplug the power cord from the wall
-Unplug the power cord from the ps3.

-Wait 1-2 Minutes

-Plug the power cord into the PS3
-Plug the ps3 power cord into the wall
-Turn the switch on the back of the unit to On
-Plug the power cable into the back of the router
-Plug the power cable into the back of the modem
-Plug the modem power cable into the wall
-Plug the router power cable into the wall.

Wait 30 seconds to 1 Minute.

-Turn on the ps3
-Check to ensure automatic login is enabled in account management.

-Problem should be solved...

-If not, redo your ps3 settings and research for the access point.