disc not loading on PS3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-19-2009, 04:02 PM

Question disc not loading on PS3

I was playing MLB the show, and my son deceided he wanted to watch a movie. I closed out the game, and used the PS3 remote to eject the disc, but the system seemed to freeze for a few seconds, and then the game disc came out. I put the movie in, and it didn't load...not movie icon ever showed up under "video". I took the movie out and put a game back in, and nothing. I am now formatting the system (which will take nearly 5 hours), but I don't think that will really help.

I went to the playstation site, and it said I will likely have to have my PS3 fixed, which it what I assume I will have to do.

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, is there a way to fix it without sending it in for repairs. I did search the forums, but didn't find anything about this problem.

thanks for any help!
Old 04-19-2009, 04:34 PM

Mine plays blu ray and regular ps3 games. But the other day I threw in a Metallica cd while I was resealing our granite countertops. It wouldn't play. Switched to Sabbath, wouldn't play. Finally got pissed off and listened to the metal channel through Time Warner.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:49 PM

i was playing cod4 and when i took the game out it froze just like yours did.. i then watched body of lies on blu ray with no problem. when i finshed watching the movie i put cod:waw in and nothing. so i tried cod4 and that didnt work either. i then tried another blu ray and noticed my ps3 was only playing bd's not ps3 games.. i sent mine to sony for repairs since it was still under warranty.. sony site tells u it may take up to 3 weeks but i got my ps3 back in 8 working days which isnt that bad
Old 04-20-2009, 07:45 AM

8 days is not bad at all...hope to have the same quick turn around. I am going to contact Sony today. I assume they will send me a box for the shipping. Anyone know how much the repair could cost. Of course, I don't the exact problem, but I am just curious what people have paid for repairs. It is an 80 gig PS3 that is backwards compatible.

thanks again!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:06 PM

I have a 80gb that doesn't play BDs. It will play everything else (PS2, CDs, and PS1) games no problem. It needs a new BD lens. Not under warranty so It'll be cheaper to buy a new lens. Found a great place for info on new lens and installing them here if anyone has the same issue and is wondering about what to do.

My launch PS3 60gb is still going strong!!

~d
Old 04-20-2009, 08:37 PM

good luck trying that...I wouldn't have the guts! I just did of the support stuff on-line, and it's going to cost $150 to get it serviced. I hate to pay that much, but it's still cheaper than a new unit. Hopefully the turn around is quick.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:25 PM

same thing happened to me. i sent my 40gig PS3 to sony to the tune of $140. took them around 2 weeks for them to fix.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 AM

happened to me, I was out of warrenty by two months, but they gave me a special one time extension and fixed it for free.. surprised me because all I did was ask nicely, and didn't have to b!tch and moan, hahaha. Turn around time was super fast, < 2 weeks from when I first placed the call, to when it was back in my hands. Very impressed with this.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 AM

got my PS3 back on Tuesday. Not too bad, only took 9 business days. I don't think it was my unit, since the 1 I sent in was perfect looking, and the unit i received had scratches and marks on it. I am debating on contacting them about it, but I don't know if i want to bother sending it back... at least it works, and I guess that is what is most important.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Formerly the13stuff

jimbach13-

I had this exact same problem about a month after buying my PS3 in 07. They most likely did not send you your unit, as I actually asked a rep that very question when mine was sent in and they told me I was getting a different one. Glad you got your PS3 fixed!