Error 80029946 on a Region Free BR? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-09-2009, 02:19 PM

Default Error 80029946 on a Region Free BR?

Ok, got Tyson from Amazon.uk in the mail today. I popped it in, the disclaimer starts along with the company logo and then "Error 80029946, video cannot be play back". First time it ever happened to me, so I went online and check what the code meant but it seems that it's for Dual Layer NTSC DVD content played on a PAL console (which doesn't make any sense in my context).

Now I've read that you could mess around with the settings and bypass this. I tried it, changed the ones related to video matters and still doesn't want to work.

Also, if it was region coded wouldn't it have locked when I first launched it instead of after the disclaimer?

Btw, I have the MGS4 80gig bundle with lastest firmware (2.70)

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2009, 03:58 PM

apparently the latest PS3 firmware update is causing all kinds of problems.
lots of people are having the same problems.
no known way around this at the current time.
hopefully Sony will figure out what happened.
unless it was intentional somehow to keep people with region a PS3's from accessing certain codecs.
no one is sure at present what is going on.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:26 PM

I actually got an 800 something error trying to play a video file I moved from PlayTV to my XMB. I thought it must have gotten corrupt (some files worked, some didn't). I should have noted the number and dug up on it, but I deleted the files.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:46 PM

I think this Tyson problem is the same problem that I'm having with some of my Nordic imports. There's probably some 1080i/50 or SD PAL content on the disc before the movie. With older firmware PS3 was able to skip over such content if the next stream to be played was again in supported format (e.g. 1080p/24). Now with firmware 2.70 PS3 gives up instantly when any 1080i/50 content is to be played and doesn't skip.

So there's probably an intro or copyright warning screen on the disc in unsupported 1080i/50 or SD PAL format and that kills the playback whereas previously it could be skipped successfully.

I hope Sony will improve this kind of compatibility again in future firmware updates, I wrote them a complaint through their PS3 Knowledge Center.

First person who replied to me tried to fend me off with some incorrect answers but I got through to another person who at least said he'd take the issue to appropriate SCEA management. I hope that meant they'd really look into it. I'm sure they will at least if they get many more complaints about it from different people.

This only highlights all the little compatiblitily problems on Blu-ray with European discs on U.S. or Japanese players, I'm sure they are not intentionally trying to cause this kind of problems to end users especially with discs that are marked as region free...

I guess their engineers didn't know well about this kind of issues when they tweaked something in the firmware.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:19 PM

I am having this same issue. Any new news on this? I updated to 2.76 and no fix! Region free discs, suddenly not playing with this error code!!!

Anything? I keep seeing "I played with some settings and it worked" on forums, but any idea what settings?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NepSag2356 View Post
I am having this same issue. Any new news on this? I updated to 2.76 and no fix! Region free discs, suddenly not playing with this error code!!!

Anything? I keep seeing "I played with some settings and it worked" on forums, but any idea what settings?
I'll try mine UK import of Transformers: The Movie tonight to see if I'm getting the same problem. Hope not !-(
Old 05-15-2009, 01:27 PM

This error code is for 1080i/50hz and PAL format playback on Region A US/Canadian Playstation 3 systems. As stated before, the system would simply skip the content and continue. Now, with the new update, the system pops up the error code and goes back to the XMB Bar.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:49 PM

Here's hoping for a fix! I emailed Sony, considering it works on my Sony laptop, and hope they make a change!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:58 PM

This problem sucks. I'm having it while trying to view "P" and "Once"... luckily the movie works fine but the bonus content just freezes up.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:02 PM

Transformers The Movie works on my 60gb and 80gb PS3 machines. I have a friend with the 40gb and his copy of the import works too after the firmware update.

~d