Problem Getting Original PS3 HDD To Work As External Hard Drive... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-20-2009, 01:51 AM

Question Problem Getting Original PS3 HDD To Work As External Hard Drive...

I recently purchased a PS3 80GB and replaced the HDD with a 320GB HDD right out of the box. The original PS3 HDD I removed and put into a 2.0 SATA Drive Enclosure to use as a new external hard drive. The problem I am having now is that when I try connecting it to my Mac or PC neither computer recognizes it. Can somebody help me out and tell me what I need to do to get this to work as an external hard drive? Thanks.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:12 AM

PS3 used it own partition system so your PC would not recognized it

so you need to format it first, either to FAT32 or NTFS
Old 02-20-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyph View Post
PS3 used it own partition system so your PC would not recognized it

so you need to format it first, either to FAT32 or NTFS
And how do I do that?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:30 AM

hm, the easiest way is to get Partition Magic, but its not free

you can also go to control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> disk management... you should see the hard disk there with an unknown partition, just right click it and choose to format
Old 02-20-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyph View Post
hm, the easiest way is to get Partition Magic, but its not free

you can also go to control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> disk management... you should see the hard disk there with an unknown partition, just right click it and choose to format

Nope, that doesn't work, I already tried. When I click on the unnamed drive all the other options including "format" are grayed out except "delete partition" and "help".
Like I said, both my PC and Mac are having trouble reading the HDD. I refuse to buy a program since I have never heard of anyone else having this problem when replacing their HDD, so I know there must be some way to get this to work.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickster1964 View Post
Nope, that doesn't work, I already tried. When I click on the unnamed drive all the other options including "format" are grayed out except "delete partition" and "help".
Like I said, both my PC and Mac are having trouble reading the HDD. I refuse to buy a program since I have never heard of anyone else having this problem when replacing their HDD, so I know there must be some way to get this to work.
Delete the partition, then it will give you an option to create a new one using the unallocated drive space.

Here is what you should do:

1. Delete Partition
2. Wait for it to delete
3. Click "Format" or "Create Partition" or "Format Unallocated Space" or something similiar.
4. Let it do its thang.
5. ??????
6. PROFIT!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireb0x View Post
Delete the partition, then it will give you an option to create a new one using the unallocated drive space.

Here is what you should do:

1. Delete Partition
2. Wait for it to delete
3. Click "Format" or "Create Partition" or "Format Unallocated Space" or something similiar.
4. Let it do its thang.
5. ??????
6. PROFIT!!!
yep, this should work.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:18 PM

I used this free partition software to format my drive, it was pretty simple: http://www.compuapps.com/download/Sw...swissknife.htm .
Old 04-06-2009, 05:40 PM

I'm not trying to sound mean but I'm surprised you were able to replace the HD and don't now how to format the drive.

The above instructions by fireb0x should work for you though.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:55 PM

You guys are correct but wrong.

I would consider myself very technically skilled and I have had the same problem. I replaced my PS3 40GB with a 320GB. I then tried connecting my old PS3 Hard Drive to an External Case and hook it up to 4 different PC's. None of them could find the Hard drive through the many programs(all listed above) and work arounds I tried.

I don't know why the PC doesnt find it. I was unable to try and hook it up to an internal SATA drive bay. So I thought it might have been dead, though I doubt that.

I pretty much bought a new hard drive to put into my external hard drive case which the PC recognized right away.

Sorry I dont know why it happens, I wish I did.

My external hard drive case is the Rosewill.