40GB PS3 Laser Died - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-13-2009, 04:27 AM

Default 40GB PS3 Laser Died

The laser in my PS3 died, just one week shy of the one year mark. Good thing it's still under warranty.

Still kind of bummed out though.

I was watching The Kingdom BD, and it froze in the middle of the movie. Power cycled it, and the loading icon was displayed in the upper right corner. It was stuck loading. Power cycled again, tried another movie, no-go. Tried some games. No-go.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:36 AM

since you have warranty still i'd definately get it sent in, but mine did the same thing basically...

had 4 people playing little big planet...about half way through a map the screen froze...then started working after about 3 seconds...then all of the sudden the background music started skipping...almost like a cd...but it just kept playing the same 2 second clip over and over...then at the end of the level, the screen went totally white. ps3 wouldn't respond to any commands, had to turn it off on the back of the unit with the rocker switch.

after a couple days i did a hard reset or whatever it's called when you turn it off with the power button on the front and hold it for a long time...and it worked again...

i have no idea why it worked, i was convinced i'd have to swap out a laser diode or something (my warranty is up)

so definately send it in, but if it happens again after you're out of warranty, give my idea a shot before taking it apart hehe
Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 AM

mine died the EXACT same way after the troublesome 2.40 FW update. Sent it in and they took care of it.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandemonium View Post
mine died the EXACT same way after the troublesome 2.40 FW update. Sent it in and they took care of it.
Did you get a refurb, or did you get your PS3 back?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:27 PM

I received MY original PS3 back with an entirely replaced disc drive.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:53 PM

mine just died this past weekend, it passed the warranty period so i had to pay $149 and am still waiting for their box to arrive.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:23 PM

i just went through the entire process a few months ago (Nov.) and it's a fairly painless ordeal. It takes about two weeks, they send it to a town at the bottom of Texas then take it over into Mexico to get the cheap labor done.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:36 AM

I just got two tracking numbers for UPS in my email. One is for a 4 pound package, which is about right for the shipping box and packaging materials. But I also got a second tracking number for a package that is 16 pounds. Any ideas what that is?
Old 02-14-2009, 08:12 AM

Since yours didn't crap out because of the FW update (as far as the information you've given) they may very well have just sent you a replacement; likely a refurb. It isn't uncommon, but of course you'll have to send your broken one back in the little cardboard coffin. Keep us updated.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandemonium View Post
Since yours didn't crap out because of the FW update (as far as the information you've given) they may very well have just sent you a replacement; likely a refurb. It isn't uncommon, but of course you'll have to send your broken one back in the little cardboard coffin. Keep us updated.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If that's the case, that'll be great. I won't be without a PS3 for that long. I think it's odd that they'd ship out a replacement before I've even sent in my defective unit first.