200GB Ps3 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Kenshiro's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,252
Default 200gb Ps3

I just upgraded my HDD in the PS3 to the Toshiba 200GB. I got it off ebay for $160 and it works great. It has a lower rpm then the original PS3 60GB but in the PS3 manual it does not specify what rpm the HDD should be, only that it has to be 2.5" SATA.

I tested the load times with games that run off the HDD like Tekken and NG Sigma demo and there is no noticable difference in load times. Also I put a lot of music and videos on the HDD and everything quickly loads right up and works the same as before.

I'll have no trouble filling this up with music, videos, and pictures and when the 300GB drives come out, I will probably upgrade again.

Here is some info on the 200GB HDD.
http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Pat...00659c00002ea4

Last edited by Kenshiro; 05-19-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,477
Default

Load times should be the same. Even though it is spinning slower, the data density is much higher so it does not need to spin as fast to scan the same amount of data. Not to mention the Toshiba 200 GB drive has a larger cache and lower seek times than the Seagate included in the PS3.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-18-2007, 05:05 PM
illegalprelude's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,961
Default

damn you! im only @ 160GB. Ill wait out the 200 for the 300 and then ill jump the gun =D
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-18-2007, 09:02 PM
BIGSAPOTEER's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
damn you! im only @ 160GB. Ill wait out the 200 for the 300 and then ill jump the gun =D
Just connect 2 of them and you"ll have 400 . What are you guys doing that you need that much space?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2007, 02:49 AM
illegalprelude's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSAPOTEER View Post
Just connect 2 of them and you"ll have 400 . What are you guys doing that you need that much space?
I got so much stuff.
Downloaded Games:
Calling All Cars
Blast Factor
Super Rub a Dub
Lemmings
Tekken: DR
Gaunlett II

I have probably 40 1080p Trailers

another 30 or so albums on there.

So yea, lots of content.

Then soon with more downloadble content coming to the PS3, i need the bigger HDD.

Then games like Obilvion and Spiderman and such take up 2GB or some 6GB and such
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2007, 04:45 AM
Kenshiro's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,252
Default

Yeah I have so much media that I like to keep on the PS3, space doesn't last long. I have a whole LOT of music and videos, and then there are the downloadable games and the games that use the HDD for faster load times like prelude mentioned. Also I'm about to run linux on here so thats another 10GB. All that and the system has only been out for 6 months, so in the spirit of Blu-ray, I figure it's nice to have the extra space for the future.

Also, if anyone thinks its strange to have a Toshiba HDD in a Sony PS3, don't forget that the CELL was developed jointly by Sony, IBM, and Toshiba...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2007, 06:58 AM
illegalprelude's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
Yeah I have so much media that I like to keep on the PS3, space doesn't last long. I have a whole LOT of music and videos, and then there are the downloadable games and the games that use the HDD for faster load times like prelude mentioned. Also I'm about to run linux on here so thats another 10GB. All that and the system has only been out for 6 months, so in the spirit of Blu-ray, I figure it's nice to have the extra space for the future.

Also, if anyone thinks its strange to have a Toshiba HDD in a Sony PS3, don't forget that the CELL was developed jointly by Sony, IBM, and Toshiba...
All the stuff he said basically. I left out Linux from my setup too.
Plus if Warhawk and Socom are both going to be downloadble games, their not gonna be small files!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2007, 03:58 PM
BIGSAPOTEER's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
All the stuff he said basically. I left out Linux from my setup too.
Plus if Warhawk and Socom are both going to be downloadble games, their not gonna be small files!
I apologize my friend. What is the largest internal HDD I can put inside my PS3 or should I get an external one? I'm not a fan of having extra equipment next to my PS3.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-19-2007, 05:34 PM
illegalprelude's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSAPOTEER View Post
I apologize my friend. What is the largest internal HDD I can put inside my PS3 or should I get an external one? I'm not a fan of having extra equipment next to my PS3.
200GB currently is the biggest I know of. There might even be 240GB? But Kenshiro has the 200GB hard drive and I have the 160GB
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
200gb BDs squall4008 Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 1 08-03-2007 06:34 PM
ps3 retail price up in canada? what happened to the 20gb ps3? mossman72 Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles 21 02-05-2007 06:13 PM
TDK's Abuse-Resistant 200GB Blu-ray Disc marzetta7 High Definition Smackdown 48 01-19-2007 01:09 PM
200GB Blu-ray illegalprelude CES 2007: General Discussion 5 01-09-2007 08:16 AM
TDK Showcases Latest BD Innovations & Introduces 200gb Disc marzetta7 CES 2007: General Discussion 20 01-08-2007 06:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off