Resistance 2 or Killzone 2... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-07-2009, 05:54 PM

Default Resistance 2 or Killzone 2...

I'm looking for a good game to play on my PS3, its been awhile i think MGS4 was the last game i actually played with the exception of Rock Band 2... So it looks like these are the two must play games on the PS3 right now, I playd the first Resistance and i have not played any of the Killzone games and i would prefer good storytelling to accompany great gameplay, so which is looking like a winner?
Old 02-07-2009, 06:07 PM

i say go for both. killzone 2 isnt due out til the end of the month. go rent resistance 2. i beat it within a couple days. then after that youll have killzone to play.but resistance 2 is deff worth to play. i loved it.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:37 PM
HDD Contributor

As always, it depends on where your priorities lie. They both have strengths and weaknesses going for them that could influence your decision based on your gaming preferences.

On the one hand, Resistance 2 is an all around solid package. It has a decent single-player component, a truly innovative co-operative mode and fairly robust multi-player component as well, so if you're the sort that "wants it all" in that sense, then Resistance 2 is fairly complete, almost a "jack of all trades but master of none" game.

Killzone 2 is more specialized. It has no co-op mode of any sort. And some would argue the weapons in Resistance 2 are more original and varied than the "standardized" arsenal of Killzone 2. On the other hand its currently the best looking game on any console (so there's the demo material factor if you like showing friends what your TV and console can do) and is reported to have an incredibly strong single-player component superior to the solid-but-not amazing single player campaign of Resistance 2. Its multi-player component however, is similarly robust like Resistance 2, complete the same kind of "leveling up" mechanics as well as the ability to diversify your abilities into a unique mixture of hybrid classes.

But like I said, it's a matter of preference. If you don't like competitive multi-player, none of this matters. If you greatly enjoy co-op play with friends, then Resistance 2 wins by default. If graphics are your thing, it's gotta' be Killzone 2. All a matter of your likes and dislikes, which I don't know, so I can't make recommendations.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:32 PM

hmmm... i had a poll but id didnt work =(
im really not big into competitive multiplayer, i may check it out a little in either game, but i never get to serious with it, co-op and split screen competitive multiplayer may be big because i live in a dorm right now so a lot of people may be playing it, which brings up another question, does either game feature split screen online play, like having 4 people in competitive online match? and for the campaign mode, like i said i played the first Resistance so im already familiar with the characters and it did have a cliffhanger ending so i would like to know what happens to them in the sequel. I have also heard you dont need to play the other two Killzone games to know whats going on in the story, so right now im leaning towards Resistance because i already know the characters and would like to see how their story plays out, but obviously no one really knows how good the story is in Killzone 2 so maybe i should have waited a bit to post this question, it will be a while before i get them anyways because my PS3 is broken and im waiting for a best buy giftcard to buy a new one...
Old 02-07-2009, 07:53 PM
HDD Contributor

No prior knowledge of the previous Killzones is required to understand what's going on Killzone 2.

As far as the split-screen co-op goes, yes, Resistance 2 has 2 player split-screen co-op (but NOT traditional "it's just campaign mode for 2 players" this is an entirely different mode that can played by two people split screen with up to 6 other players teaming up as well online) whereas Killzone 2 has no co-op function with official word being none is planned (though honestly I think it might happen in the future).
Old 02-07-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall4008 View Post
I'm looking for a good game to play on my PS3, its been awhile i think MGS4 was the last game i actually played with the exception of Rock Band 2... So it looks like these are the two must play games on the PS3 right now, I playd the first Resistance and i have not played any of the Killzone games and i would prefer good storytelling to accompany great gameplay, so which is looking like a winner?
I was asking myself the same question, having just rented Resistance 2 and played the Killzone 2 demo. I was considering getting both but now thinking about it, and reading Shoeless' post, I think better get Killzone 2 as its multiplayer looks good and its single player looks better than Resistance 2 not to mention graphically KZ2 blows R2 away.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:54 AM

i'm not a fan of either Resistance game. the first one was the game i bought when i got my PS3 and i couldn't figure out what all the fans thought about it, and the second one is just blah. killzone 2 is gonna rock big time and after playing the demo it just confirmed my beliefs.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 PM

Killzone is ALOT!!!!!!!!!! better.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:31 PM

Killzone 2 hands down
Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 PM

Unreal Torunament III

Once the free Titan Pack is released tomorrow, it will feel like a brand new game. Also, you can have it on the cheap (mine costed around $13 dollars).

That'll give you a fine shooter to enjoy until Killzone 2 lowers the price a bit.