PS3 won't play extras on Blurays. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-26-2009, 04:34 AM

PS3 won't play extras on Blurays.

It's not true of all the Bluray discs I've bought, but on some (The Shining, A Scanner Darkly) when I select one of the extras on the disc, my HD tv turns to a green screen and then nothing. The Playstation is still on but nothing plays on the screen until it says "No Signal" on the TV.

I have to reset the Playstation after this or nothing happens. I've tried multiple times but either the TV or the PS3 crashes. Other discs will let me play the extra material just fine. I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the resolution of the extras? Like when it switches from 1080p to something lower? I don't know.

It has also stopped playing my burnt DVD's with .avi's on them. Some of those discs used to play just fine but now only about half of the same ones will play.

Nothing else appears to be wrong with the PS3 and it has the latest updates.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:14 PM

I've heard the PS 3 has a REALLY cheap drive in it, prone to failures. I know of 2 friends who have had their drive just die and refuse to read discs.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:17 PM

Sounds like the display is not accepting the lower resolution to me.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squozen View Post
Sounds like the display is not accepting the lower resolution to me.
I agree.
Make sure you have all the different allowed resolutions checked in you PS3 display option. Sometimes the PS3 resets, and you have to go back into the menu and set it all back up. If it's a major problem with the drive, copy all your files/saves whatever to a memory stick and install a new HDD drive, plus you can up the gb. Good HDD drives are droping in price and worth it even if it's not the problem.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:40 PM

either the lower resolutions are not being outputted or accepted by your tv or your using an import disc, maybe a pal... extras would be pal
Old 06-29-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Blu's View Post
I agree.
Make sure you have all the different allowed resolutions checked in you PS3 display option. Sometimes the PS3 resets, and you have to go back into the menu and set it all back up. If it's a major problem with the drive, copy all your files/saves whatever to a memory stick and install a new HDD drive, plus you can up the gb. Good HDD drives are droping in price and worth it even if it's not the problem.
Thanks guys! I haven't fixed it yet. I can't find where these settings are. I don't see anything in any of the settings menus. I can't find this "PS3 Display Option".
Old 06-29-2009, 04:34 AM

it's there alright!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni9ht_5ta1k3r View Post
it's there alright!
I feel like I've gone through every settings menu and I don't see it.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:20 PM

if your playing the movie just fine but not the extras... then it is only 2 possible things.

1 your ps3 is not set up right in the video setting/connections. select what type of cable your using and you should have an option to select the video output... 480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p etc... sorry i dont recall the exact set up since I use HDMI.

2 your playing a region free/multi region bd disc that has the extras in a display format different from your ps3/tv.

1 you can fix in your settings.

2 your sol nothing you can do about it.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:48 PM

Sony's documentation on how to do things on the PS3

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...deooutput.html