2 ps3's in house can I - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-22-2008, 07:28 PM

Default 2 ps3's in house can I

Hello all new to site , what I need to know is how to link my players together so I can use the same network name and password or should this happen anyway thanks Will ..
Old 12-23-2008, 11:02 AM

Default ps3

Well you can't be logged in with the same PSN account on both at the same time. But you can use your same account on both just not at the same time. So you can get all the stuff you downloaded on both of them. On your new one when you go to sign in just click use an existing account and sign in with the same PSN info as you do on your other one.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 AM

Like the other guy said, I don't think you can be logged in at the same time.

If you want to "share" any DLC or games you downloaded, simply log in on the other PS3 using the same PSN ID that bought the content and go to your DL list and download again. I don't think you can share downloadable PS3 games like Warhawk, Socom, and Burnout Paradise. You can share content like the extra maps for Warhawk (I've done this) and I'm not sure, but you may be able to share the PS1 games or PSN arcade games.

I also have 2 PS3's and I created a separate PSN account for my other PS3. If you're interested in playing LAN games, you need to have both PS3's connected to the same router or use a special cable (can't remember what it's called) to connect them directly since a standard ethernet cable will not work. (yes this is different from the xbox 360. You can connect two xbox 360's with a standard ethernet cable and LAN games will work, but for some odd reason Sony had to make it more difficult.)
Old 12-23-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
Like the other guy said, I don't think you can be logged in at the same time.

If you want to "share" any DLC or games you downloaded, simply log in on the other PS3 using the same PSN ID that bought the content and go to your DL list and download again. I don't think you can share downloadable PS3 games like Warhawk, Socom, and Burnout Paradise. You can share content like the extra maps for Warhawk (I've done this) and I'm not sure, but you may be able to share the PS1 games or PSN arcade games.

I also have 2 PS3's and I created a separate PSN account for my other PS3. If you're interested in playing LAN games, you need to have both PS3's connected to the same router or use a special cable (can't remember what it's called) to connect them directly since a standard ethernet cable will not work. (yes this is different from the xbox 360. You can connect two xbox 360's with a standard ethernet cable and LAN games will work, but for some odd reason Sony had to make it more difficult.)
The special cable is called a crossover cable. The same thing is needed if you want to connect 2 PCs without a router, for instance. Basically, the send and receive wires cross over to different pins on the connector.

No idea about how the 360 does it.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
No idea about how the 360 does it.
Software I would imagine. You can emulate crossover cables with most decent/newer network cards.

Also, it's not so much that Sony is being difficult, it's just MS going the extra mile. I imagine a firmware update could probably fix this, I just don't see the demand for it.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebonz View Post
Software I would imagine. You can emulate crossover cables with most decent/newer network cards.

Also, it's not so much that Sony is being difficult, it's just MS going the extra mile. I imagine a firmware update could probably fix this, I just don't see the demand for it.
yeah, with online capabilities and routers in homes becoming more common, the demand isn't there. PS3 LAN games over a router work great though. I should rephrase my previous statement... Sony doesn't make it as convenient as MS.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:20 PM

Can the PS3 be connected to one another via an Ethernet cable to play a game on coop., each player in its own console/screen?

Like the X360 does with the Halos, GoW, etc.?

What games support it?
Old 12-23-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Lugo View Post
Can the PS3 be connected to one another via an Ethernet cable to play a game on coop., each player in its own console/screen?

Like the X360 does with the Halos, GoW, etc.?

What games support it?
See posts above. You need a "cross over" cable to connect two PS3's since a standard ethernet won't work.

I have no idea what PS3 games support local co-op. Off the top of my head, you could look into Call of Duty: WAW, Resistance 2, Mercenaries 2, and Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga. All of those games have online co-op... so it's possible some of them might support local co-op.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:15 PM

You know, those little 5 port Linksys switches are about $25. Plug that thing into an Internet connection and you can both hop online "locally."

There is also the option of buying a crossover converter, which turns any regular cat5 cable into a crossover cable. They're about $3
Old 12-31-2008, 01:12 PM

If you have a wireless network you can do it provided you have a different username on each PS3. Then you add the user name to the friend list. I've done it with "Army of Two." It worked great!