Is the PS3 ever going to be able to bitstream? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-18-2008, 04:35 PM

Default Is the PS3 ever going to be able to bitstream?

Will the ps3 ever be able to bitstream DolbyTrue HD or DTS HD? Because I know it allows it via Linear PCM, but I just feel that with my receiver I wish it would bitstream as opposed to having it be in linear pcm.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:42 PM

From one of the Firmware upgrades I was assured that the PS3 was capable of DTS HD and True HD audio bitstreaming, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Found the article
http://gizmodo.com/378180/playstatio...d-master-audio

Quote:
Today, SCEA announced that the latest PS3 update, 2.30, would bring the ability to decode DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio tracks, that is to say, Blu-ray audio at variable bit rates up to 24.5Mbps, and 7.1 streaming of 96K/24-bit tracks. Does this make PS3 the best Blu-ray player ever? If you've got a receiver that can take an uncompressed audio stream of that magnitude via HDMI, then we think it does. UPDATE: To be clear, this decodes the DTS formats—plus Dolby's formats, including Dolby TrueHD—and outputs all channels via HDMI to a receiver that can take a 5.1 or 7.1 PCM stream. It won't do 5.1 or 7.1 analog output. Also, as some of you have noted, it does NOT bitstream the DTS or Dolby data to a decoder inside a newer decoder-equipped receiver.

Last edited by oBUSo_Ra1d3r; 12-18-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 12-18-2008, 05:40 PM

This comes up from time to time and always ends in an arguement. The FACT is that the HDMI chip in current PS3's is NOT capable of bitstreaming the HD codex. Period. It is a hardware limitation that has been confirmed by DTS and by the manufacturer of the HDMI chip. No firmware can change this fact.

In the future it is possible that a newer hardware revision may be released that doesnt have this limitation but not now.

It CAN decode all of the HD Codex internally but sends them all as PCM to an HDMI reciever.

Last edited by Maxx_75; 12-21-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling or punctuation
Old 12-18-2008, 05:54 PM

Ok me being a PS3 owner myself with a Yamah V-3800 Receiver on the way, my receiver will display PCM, will it be just as high quality audio codec still or am I going to lose some manner of quality if the PS3 decodes the tracks itself?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oBUSo_Ra1d3r View Post
Ok me being a PS3 owner myself with a Yamah V-3800 Receiver on the way, my receiver will display PCM, will it be just as high quality audio codec still or am I going to lose some manner of quality if the PS3 decodes the tracks itself?
You get full 100% lossless quality if the consoles decodes it itself. Even if it was bitstreamed, the receiver itself would decode it to PCM the exact same way. PCM is completely lossless and uncompressed.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:49 PM

Sweeett!! Can't wait to get my receiver in
Old 12-21-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_michael View Post
Will the ps3 ever be able to bitstream DolbyTrue HD or DTS HD? Because I know it allows it via Linear PCM, but I just feel that with my receiver I wish it would bitstream as opposed to having it be in linear pcm.
Ive wondered that myself. It is 1.3 so I dont see why Sony couldnt do a firmware update for bitstream.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
This comes up from time to time and always ends in an arguement. The FACT is that the HMDI chip in current PS3's is NOT capable of bitstreaming the HD codex. Period. It is a hardware limitation that has been confirmed by DTS and by the manufacturer of the HDMI chip. No firmware can change this fact.

In the future it is possible that a newer hardware revision may be released that doesnt have this limitation but not now.

It CAN decode all of the HD Codex internally but sends them all as PCM to an HDMI reciever.
What hardware limitations are we talking about? They sent a firmware update for PCM, so why couldnt they for bitstream? and its 1.3
Old 12-21-2008, 01:55 PM

The chip that controls the I/O for the HDMI port. It IS 1.3 but many of the specs in 1.3 are optional. The PS3 if you will remember was the first or one of the very first 1.3 devices on the market. Who is to know why it didnt get the ability. Cost, or lack of development, or was the 1.3 just marketing ?

The firmware update for PCM was just internal decoding ability. Word is the reason that the PS3 didnt ship with that ability is that it took alot of CPU cycyles or too much space in the update or who the hell knows. But they got it worked out with better coding I guess.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:32 PM

Future PS3 consoles can certainly be made with the ability to bitstream but the consoles at least prior to the new 80GB and new 160GB aren't capable period because of a hardware limitation. Bitstreaming is optional with HDMI 1.3 and the hardware used by the original 20GB, 60GB, 80GB and 40GB models use an HDMI chip that isn't capable. Here is the language on Wikipedia regarding the timing of HDMI 1.3 and ability as far as this issue:

Quote:
HDMI 1.3 was released June 22, 2006 and increased the single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbit/s).[13][14][93] It optionally supports Deep Color with 30-bit, 36-bit, and 48-bit xvYCC, sRGB, or YCbCr compared to 24-bit sRGB or YCbCr in previous HDMI versions. It optionally supports output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio streams for external decoding by AV receivers.[94]
Whether or not Sony wants to make subsequent models of the PS3 able to bitstream and leave the older versions out is a business decision that Sony needs to make. I have two, a 40GB and an 80GB, that will never bitstream but personally would hold no ill will if the current and future models will be able to bitstream. I don't know whether it is technically possible with the current models or not but there is no reason that it couldn't be now.

Chris