PS3 HDMI problem; then lost audio/video settings - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-04-2008, 12:09 AM

Default PS3 HDMI problem; then lost audio/video settings

Quick question for anyone that can help. I was using my PS3 today, went out, and when I came back and turned it on the video wasn't showing up. I could hear the audio when scrolling, but no image. I turned it off and back on, and it started up. However, it was outputting at 480p and had lost every single one of my audio/video settings.

Why did this happen? I don't want to have to go through reapplying the settings again. Frankly I spent part of a day testing every setting with a couple different BDs and games to find what I liked best, but now I don't really remember them all, so it's sort of frustrating. Is there anything I did to trigger this?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:15 AM

If you hold your finger on the power button (on the console) for around 5-7 seconds it will trigger an automatic reset of your settings. This was done in case people accidently left settings on say 1080p when they only have a 720p or 480i tv. It's possible you may have done this. Some models of tv's take longer then usual to get the drm handshake an hdmi cable requires. For instance: If I turn on my 360 and Samsung tv at the same time sometimes the video signal will not sync up correctly and I'll have no video. Usually I just have to change the channel and then flip back and it'll work just fine. It's likely that this is what happened to you, and then when you restarted you accidentaly triggered te reset function on the ps3. I wouldn't be too worried, this happens on rare occasions. Next time (if there is one) that you get sound with no picture try switiching channels first, and after 5 seconds or so switch back. Should fix the problem.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleHBK View Post
If you hold your finger on the power button (on the console) for around 5-7 seconds it will trigger an automatic reset of your settings. This was done in case people accidently left settings on say 1080p when they only have a 720p or 480i tv. It's possible you may have done this. Some models of tv's take longer then usual to get the drm handshake an hdmi cable requires. For instance: If I turn on my 360 and Samsung tv at the same time sometimes the video signal will not sync up correctly and I'll have no video. Usually I just have to change the channel and then flip back and it'll work just fine. It's likely that this is what happened to you, and then when you restarted you accidentaly triggered te reset function on the ps3. I wouldn't be too worried, this happens on rare occasions. Next time (if there is one) that you get sound with no picture try switiching channels first, and after 5 seconds or so switch back. Should fix the problem.
Thanks for the info, good stuff for me to keep in mind. I appreciate the help.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
My TV set sometimes has the pretty same issue you describe. It's just with the PS3 however but not with the XBOX360. Seems kind of strange. I even thought of changing the HDMI cable but that certainly can't be causing the issue since it should be much better (quality wise) than the original Microsoft HDMI cable that came with my XBOX360 (pretty thin and doesn't look like a good quality HDMI 1.3 cable is intended to look like).
Old 07-18-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
it worked for me at the first time but i turned it off for a while and turn it back on and again no signal.. i reinstalled the TV and nothing.. P.S when i did it in the first time it worked but when i was playing it was loosing the signal and i had to unplug and plug the HDMI everytime. whats the problem?my ps3 , my tv or my HDMI cable?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 PM

P.S.2 in cyprus we have problems with the electricity because of the blast and they have to shutdown the electricity for two hours every area