PAL PS3 60GB, region free (DVD part)? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-27-2008, 04:04 PM

Default PAL PS3 60GB, region free (DVD part)?

Hi,

I just watched some other forums and there were some guys from the UK claiming their 60GB PS3 could play US DVDs just fine.

Anyone who has a UK PS3 tested this? Would be great if it worked. I really don't want to watch my Disney Treasures collection and my Canadian Lord Of The Rings on PC.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:27 AM

I tested in mine the day I got it (on launch day) and sadly it doesnt work. Chances are they poped in a disc labeled region 4 (which was probabllly actually a no region encoded disc) and it worked. Either thay, they hacked it or are just lying.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:30 AM

Well. That's a pity.

I suppose there's no region hack or perhaps a region hack (remote based. No firmware) for the XBOX360, is there?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:11 PM

Can't you just get a cheapo dvd player (add yet another box under the tv ), most players are easily remote hacked and the cheap toshiba (about 60 quid) I got a few years ago even came with a slip of paper in the box telling you how to do it.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:29 AM

I could, but:

1. I don't have any more space left
2. I heard about the superior scaling capability of the PS3. That's why I was (and still am) eager for a hack.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:09 PM

You can always make a backup of your region 1 dvd's, and in the process make them region free. Doesn't take too long, and works like a charm.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmk1138 View Post
You can always make a backup of your region 1 dvd's, and in the process make them region free. Doesn't take too long, and works like a charm.
Yeah, I could and maybe I'll (still legal in my place since it's for personal use only) but after seeing the PS3 perform upscaling today I think I should rather go with PC HQ scaling techniques or wait till the prices for Onkyos 906 AV Receiver drop.

Not that there's anything wrong with PS3 upscaling but I'm just used to the overly sharp picture of Blu-Ray and want some similar with DVD (got that on my PC with my very own scaling algorithms).
Old 12-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx123 View Post
I could, but:

1. I don't have any more space left
2. I heard about the superior scaling capability of the PS3. That's why I was (and still am) eager for a hack.
May I suggest the Philips 1080p upscaling dvd player? It has a code that allows you to play PAL discs as well as any region DVD and...the quality is very good IMO. The only thing I don't really care for is the remote but for $50 or $60 it is a great player.

Just do a search for the code to unlock all the region codes as well as PAL and follow the directions, I love my player.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:56 PM

Well, thankyou.

This reminds me that I watched to a Philips 1080p player playing Ratatouille not long ago and it looked quite stunning. Maybe I'll give it a try. My next electronics store should've them in.

I'd be still interested in how a 905/906 Onkyo performs (I could connect my old, non HD Philips DVD player to it). Man, these things are monsters.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:57 AM

here is the code to make it an all-code and PAL disc playing DVD player. This player plays almost anything I throw at it including burnt media on DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD-DL. Good Luck!!!

Below are the instructions posted by another Amazon reviewer for setting the DVD to Region 0.
Power Up the unit with NO Disc in the tray.
Open the tray
Press the SETUP Button on the remote control
Navigate to the PREFERENCES page using the Right Arrow Key
Press the DOWN ARROW one time to select
Press the 1 button on your remote control
Press the 3 button on your remote control
Press the 8 button on your remote control
Press the 9 button on your remote control
Press the 3 button on your remote control
Press the 1 button on your remote control
The current Region Code Setting will display
Use the UP/DOWN Arrow Keys to select the region required or '0' for All Regions