PS3 Wireless Controller Question. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-18-2008, 12:21 PM

Default PS3 Wireless Controller Question.

Hi, I'm curious if someone would know whether the charger adapter for Motorola Blu Tooth hands free can be use to charge the PS3 controller? I'm pretty sure they used the same mini USB cable.

I just want to find other ways to charge my controller without having to connect it to the PS3. Because from where I sit and to the system, the USB cable provided from Sony is too short.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-18-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abee View Post
Hi, I'm curious if someone would know whether the charger adapter for Motorola Blu Tooth hands free can be use to charge the PS3 controller? I'm pretty sure they used the same mini USB cable.

I just want to find other ways to charge my controller without having to connect it to the PS3. Because from where I sit and to the system, the USB cable provided from Sony is too short.

Thanks in advance
I know you can use a laptop or a desktop computer to charge the controller, providing those two computers have a USB port - which they should.

Don't know about your charger personally, but maybe someone else does.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:14 PM

If the other end is the mini usb connector, then yes it would work.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdawg View Post
If the other end is the mini usb connector, then yes it would work.
Yes, the end of it is mini USB connector. But I'm afraid if I just plug it in, it will short circuit it because the voltage or current is too high or something like that electricity related problem.

Then I have to buy $55+ controller, which will piss me off.
I rather use that to buy more BR
Old 11-19-2008, 05:46 AM
Banned

Everything USB is 5 volts. I charge my Motorola cell phone on my pppps3 all the time when playing movies or games.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by view-it-purple View Post
Everything USB is 5 volts. I charge my Motorola cell phone on my pppps3 all the time when playing movies or games.
Thank you guys......
Old 11-20-2008, 10:26 PM

I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to but, I tried using a Motorola wall charger to charge my PS3 controller before and it did absolutely nothing...
didn't charge the controller but did not short anything either.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:01 AM

motorola chargers use a different setup than you see with a standard mini-usb plug in terms of which pins actually provide power. If you don't believe me, google 'motorola razr USB driver'. If you want to charge a motorola phone on a computer or other device, you need to install the driver for it.
A usb cable plugged into a computer will charge a controller properly, but I have yet to get anything except a motorola phone charge with a motorola phone charger.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evizzle View Post
motorola chargers use a different setup than you see with a standard mini-usb plug in terms of which pins actually provide power. If you don't believe me, google 'motorola razr USB driver'. If you want to charge a motorola phone on a computer or other device, you need to install the driver for it.
A usb cable plugged into a computer will charge a controller properly, but I have yet to get anything except a motorola phone charge with a motorola phone charger.
that's pretty good info...thanx.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:06 PM

I suggest try and find out