What to do when selling PS3... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-17-2008, 03:01 AM

Default What to do when selling PS3...

I'll be selling my PS3 this week and I have no clue what to do with the stuff I have saved to it. I don't have anything that I care about losing except the PSN games I have downloaded and paid for. I've heard that I can just redownload them when I get my new system without repaying...but how? Also, is there anything else I need to know? Anyone who has done this or any of you who know the process please let me know.

I realize this is a bit of a noob question here but I REALLY didn't want to ask on the playstation forums...it's like a fekkin 3rd grade recess over there.)
Old 11-17-2008, 07:43 AM

Why are you selling your PlayStation? As it sounds like you are going to buy a new one.
As long as you don't have any personal stuff on it that you don't want anyone to see just leave it on there.

If you sell it to a place like game stop they will just reset the system and dump everything anyway.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:42 AM

All you do mate is back up your saved games files to a USB stick. There's an option to format the HDD, a simple one and a thorough one which is best but takes an hour or so. Make a note of your PSN username and PW. When you get your new PS3, sign in using existing PW etc. go to your account, this'll show a list of all your downloads, and you can download 'em again without charge, it's really simple.

Good Luck.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickSol View Post
Why are you selling your PlayStation? As it sounds like you are going to buy a new one.
I'm selling it because I got it December of last year so my puny 1 year warranty is up...so I'm just gonna get a new one with a new warranty or possibly buy an in store service plan. That deal walmart.com has right now with 4 blu rays, 2 games and the BD remote for under $500 can't be beat.

I have the original 80gb Motorstorm bundle and I realize I'll be losing some features(2 extra usb inputs, card reader and SACD compatibility as well as backward compatibility) but I never really used any of those so...oh well.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_T3D View Post
All you do mate is back up your saved games files to a USB stick. There's an option to format the HDD, a simple one and a thorough one which is best but takes an hour or so. Make a note of your PSN username and PW. When you get your new PS3, sign in using existing PW etc. go to your account, this'll show a list of all your downloads, and you can download 'em again without charge, it's really simple.

Good Luck.
thanx for the info! I'll follow your instructions later this evening.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xross View Post
I'm selling it because I got it December of last year so my puny 1 year warranty is up...so I'm just gonna get a new one with a new warranty or possibly buy an in store service plan. That deal walmart.com has right now with 4 blu rays, 2 games and the BD remote for under $500 can't be beat.

I have the original 80gb Motorstorm bundle and I realize I'll be losing some features(2 extra usb inputs, card reader and SACD compatibility as well as backward compatibility) but I never really used any of those so...oh well.
This makes no sense. The ps3 has been rock solid so far. I'm sure a few are defective but nothing on the level with the 360. I say if it work's fine just hang onto to it. If you take care of it the ps3 should last at least 5yrs. That seem's to be about the lifespan for most of these type of product's.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillythePuppet07 View Post
This makes no sense. The ps3 has been rock solid so far. I'm sure a few are defective but nothing on the level with the 360. I say if it work's fine just hang onto to it. If you take care of it the ps3 should last at least 5yrs. That seem's to be about the lifespan for most of these type of product's.
If the PS3 is made as good as the PS1 it should last 12 years. My son still has his from 1996.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Formerly weaponX6282

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt View Post
If the PS3 is made as good as the PS1 it should last 12 years. My son still has his from 1996.
I'm not saying it isn't well built, but they do have their problems just like any other piece of hardware. for instance: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...ease-help.html
Old 11-17-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillythePuppet07 View Post
It makes perfect sense for me...I take very good care of my PS3, just like I took very good care of the 2 360's that crapped out on me. I realize the PS3 is nowhere in the neighborhood of the faultiness of the 360 but why would I chance it. Sony only offers the one year warranty and I refuse to pay $150 to send it to Sony for repairs considering the price I pay for it and all the other money that goes into this console.
That's why I will continue to buy a new one every year the warranty runs out or until the PS3 is cheap enough to not worry about it crapping out. Paranoid? Maybe, but like I said, it makes perfect sense for me.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt View Post
I've still got a LAUNCH PS1, PS2 and PSP that all work fine. I don't know, Xbox 360 just ruined me I guess. Ever since my experience with that machine I have not felt secure with the more expensive things I buy unless they are fully covered.