PS3 audio for non-HD audio receivers - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-12-2008, 07:36 PM

Default PS3 audio for non-HD audio receivers

I just got the new 80gb PS3 model and thought I was relatively Home Theater savvy until I got deeper into the BluRay details. I am doing fine with the HD video (PS3 HDMI to 720p TV). But my receiver, Harman AVR310, does not accept HDMI, so I send LPCM or Bitstream optical from the PS3 straight to the receiver where the best I can hope for is 5.1 DD. Everything was working fine until I came across my first DTS HD movie, Jumper. And now also, Iron Man.

So. Other movies have been sending perfectly good DD 5.1. When I played the movies with HD audio, the only English audio option from the movie menu was DTSHD. The receiver did not recognize any DD even though I would have expected the PS3 to decode the DTSHD to DD 5.1. The sound playing during the previews before the main menu, and the main menu sound itself play DD 5.1, but as soon as I start the actual movie, the DD symbol and speaker activity lights turn off on my stereo and I do not get actual surround sound.

The movie has an option for DD5.1 Spanish/French, and if I change it to that, I do get 5.1, albeit in a different language.

If I switch the optical output settings from the PS3 menu to PCM, I get no DD5.1, even in the previews and the movie main menu.

So my question is, do I have to settle for stereo, non surround sound audio if the BluRay is coded up with DTS HD/TrueHD/etc., until I get a new stereo? Or is there a minor tweak in the settings that I can make?

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:38 PM

As long as you are using optical cable and have the PS3 audio output set to Bitstream, you will still hear the core DTS surround track automatically. DTS doesn't get converted to DD or vice versa. They are both surround sound, and DTS actually has a higher max bitrate so it has the potential to sound better.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:45 AM

Hmm...that's a good point. When I get home, I will put my ear up to the speakers and check if I am getting any surround sound. The display on my Harman Receiver tells me when I am getting surround output to a specific speaker by lighting up a graphic on it's display. When the Bluray has been outputting TureHD, I only get the front speakers lighting up on the Harman display.

Worth a check.
Thanks
Old 11-13-2008, 05:58 PM

I have a HK receiver myself that I use for my PS3 and I have no problems with getting DTS core audio from the optical connection. I think you just haven't enabled DTS output on your PS3. Go to the Audio Settings menu on the PS3. Follow the steps to configure your audio settings for the optical connection and one of the steps will allow you to check the types of audio formats you want the PS3 to output. Enable the DTS checkbox (which is disabled by default) and you should be able to get sound now when you watch blu-rays with DTS-HD MA, etc.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yujust View Post
I have a HK receiver myself that I use for my PS3 and I have no problems with getting DTS core audio from the optical connection. I think you just haven't enabled DTS output on your PS3. Go to the Audio Settings menu on the PS3. Follow the steps to configure your audio settings for the optical connection and one of the steps will allow you to check the types of audio formats you want the PS3 to output. Enable the DTS checkbox (which is disabled by default) and you should be able to get sound now when you watch blu-rays with DTS-HD MA, etc.
I also have an older non-HDMI receiver, so I'm using optical from the PS3 ... and I've been meaning to ask this question for a long time.

Just how much am I missing by using optical vs. HDMI lossless?

Is the difference really noticeable between the two?

When you set the PS3 to "bitstream", you get a message saying something like "some parts of the BD may not play" ... is that really true?

Am I actually not hearing parts of the audio by using optical and not HDMI?
Old 03-27-2009, 05:00 PM

Your missing menu sound effects, whatever sound effects some special features may make like the Supermeter in Superbad (a sound is made every time a swear or McLovin is said) and PiP audio.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Man View Post
Your missing menu sound effects, whatever sound effects some special features may make like the Supermeter in Superbad (a sound is made every time a swear or McLovin is said) and PiP audio.
How about the actual movie audio?

Are there parts of the actual movie that are not being heard also?