PS3 blu-ray loading problem (paramount) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-10-2008, 04:49 PM

Default PS3 blu-ray loading problem (paramount)

I have a strange one here. My 60GB PS3 bought December 06 is having problems playing paramount BD movies. I rented Iron Man today and tried playing it. It downloaded the BD live stuff and then showed the little blu circle on the screen for a few seconds (normal) then the screen went black and nothing happened. It would not load the movie. I thought it was the movie, so I took it back to blockbuster. The girl puts it in their ps3 and it loads up normally. I then get another iron man and it does the same thing on my ps3 (black screen). I then test all my other blu-rays and they all work fine until I put in Drillbit Taylor (another paramount movie) and the loading screen appears and then the screen goes blank and the movie does not load. Do you think my ps3 is about to stop reading all blu-rays? I have a 2 year extended warranty from Best buy....should I take it back and use the warranty because it ends in January? Anyone else have this problem or have heard of something like this?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:53 PM

hmmmm try going into the PS3 BD memory and deleting the files for the movies in question. Then reinsert them. They can redownload the stuff. This might help.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niembre View Post
I have a strange one here. My 60GB PS3 bought December 06 is having problems playing paramount BD movies. I rented Iron Man today and tried playing it. It downloaded the BD live stuff and then showed the little blu circle on the screen for a few seconds (normal) then the screen went black and nothing happened. It would not load the movie. I thought it was the movie, so I took it back to blockbuster. The girl puts it in their ps3 and it loads up normally. I then get another iron man and it does the same thing on my ps3 (black screen). I then test all my other blu-rays and they all work fine until I put in Drillbit Taylor (another paramount movie) and the loading screen appears and then the screen goes blank and the movie does not load. Do you think my ps3 is about to stop reading all blu-rays? I have a 2 year extended warranty from Best buy....should I take it back and use the warranty because it ends in January? Anyone else have this problem or have heard of something like this?
I guess you should probably give SONY support a call, and they can verify your settings and firmware. I did have my BD drive die completely, and had the PS3 replaced under warranty (under 1 year of use).

How is your PS3 connected to the TV, directly, or through a receiver with HDMI passthrough? I occasionally see a black screen after loading a disc, and I switch my receiver or TV inputs away from HDMI input then back again, and it picks up HDMI. Maybe the BD-J on those discs does something funky that causes the HDMI handshake to drop.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:58 PM

I fixed my problem... I just needed to turn off the main power switch on the back, I guess it reset the ps3... booted up the disks and they loaded right away!!

I connect to TV with HDMI.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:30 PM

It gets a little weird now.... I thought by turning off the switch, it fixed the problem. It had nothing to do with the problem. before I turned off the switch, I unplugged my two USB external HDD's from the ps3. When I turned on the switch (power from back of the ps3), I did not plug in my two usb hdd's (a 120 gb and a 60gb). I put Iron Man back in the ps3 and it loaded and played perfectly. I turned off my ps3 and plugged my two usb hdd's back into the usb ports on the ps3 and then I tried drillbit taylor to make sure it was working again. It then tried to load, but got stuck on the black screen. The only thing I could think of that I did differently is connect my two external HDD's. I unplugged one and went back to the xmb and started up the movie again. It booted up and loaded perfectly. The PS3 only has a maximum of two external dives that it will allow, so I guess the Paramount movies act as an external drive and because I had two external usb hdd's, it just hung on the black screen. Weird!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 AM

I'm having trouble with Parmount Blu-Rays too. I have the Star Trek movie collection. I watched Wrath of Khan on the weekend no problem. Last night I tried watching Search for Spock and it wouldn't play. I then tried all six disc, including Khan again. None of them would play. I took out the couple USB keys out of there, and it work. Thanks for figuring out this problem. Sony needs to create a patch.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:15 AM

Default Trouble with Inception Movie..

Ive tried several times playing Inception movie on blu ray, but every time i load the disc, a moving cd appears in the center of the screen, and it just stays there.. the movie never starts.. I have a ps3 40 gbs:shamebag1:
Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 PM

I found I was getting these problems sporadically with various Fox / Paramount and Universal titles and the one sure fire way I seem to have found to fix them was to disable the automatic BD-LIVE setting, you should find it fairly easily in the Video settings.

I set mine to always ask me first before trying to connect to the Internet, as I have never found a great deal of useful purpose to BD-LIVE I really don't feel that I'm missing anything, and this process radically speeds up the general loading time of Blu-ray discs.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:58 AM

I've had the same problem for years, only on certain blu-rays. I finally got round to sitting down and working out methodically what is wrong. It seems to be related to 1080 resolution. I tried chaning all different settings related to BD Live etc. but to no avail. The solution ended up being just to change the PS3 Display Resolution to 720P and the blu-ray plays fine. Cool beans :-s