PS3 Firmware 2.5 Info.. Comming Soon - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-13-2008, 06:18 PM

Default PS3 Firmware 2.5 OCT 15, with Flash 9 Support.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...v250-psp-v500/

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/10/14/...-with-flash-9/

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/10/13/...0-coming-soon/

* Support for the PS3 Official Bluetooth Headset - we've told you about the upcoming Bluetooth Headset and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation Bundle on the Blog. This latest firmware installment enables High-Quality (HQ) mode, which delivers clear and wide-band online voice chat. On top of that, an added on-screen indicator shows battery status, volume level and use of HQ mode.

* PlayStation Trophies interface enhancements - I know that many of you are busy collecting trophies and raising your PlayStation Trophy level. This update makes sharing and comparing your trophies with your friends even easier. On 1st part of the profile page you'll see a symbol under level that represents level and the actual percentage towards the next level along with the existing level meter. The level symbol carries over to the trophy comparison screen where you will now be able to see your level, your friend's level and the percentage towards the next level for both users along with all of the game by game comparison information you see today.

* Friend status Offline friends on your Friends list will have information below their avatars that will indicate how long it has been since they were last online.

* Video This update adds the Scene Search feature similar to the feature on the PSP. Activating this feature while viewing a video on the PS3 will break the video up into scenes that you can quickly access by pressing the X button. You can break the videos into one, two or five minute intervals. In addition, you can now choose to have all of the videos under the video section of the XMB play in sequence. Go to Settings then Video Settings to turn this option on.

* PlayStation Store We've added a redeem codes option right on the store to make it easier to redeem your PlayStation Network Cards and promotion codes. In addition, PlayStation Network Sign Up and Account Management have been redesigned.

* Power Save Settings You can now set your PS3 and wireless controllers to turn off automatically after set periods of inactivity. Go to Settings then Power Save Settings to turn on these features.

* Background Downloading - You now have the option to set the PS3 to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has completed. This option is available when you turn off the system from the button under [Users] while content is being downloaded or installed.

* In-game Screenshots - this tool will allow everyone to capture, share and in other words, immortalize their favorite gameplay moments. This will be supported on a game by game basis. Please check back to find out which games will support this feature.

In addition to all of the features above there are some additional features and enhancements included in 2.50. Once the update launches ???

*PlayStation 3's upcoming 2.50 firmware includes support for Flash 9 via the console's web browser

Info From Around the Web:

From Everyone So Far:

* The [BD/DVD Settings] option under [Settings] has been renamed as [Video Settings]
Also, multiple video content items can be now played in order. You can edit this option in [Video Settings] -> [Sequential Playback]

* A scene search feature has been added to the [Video] category. You can easily select a scene that you want to watch. This feature can be accessed from [Scene Search] in the control panel that is displayed during video playback.

* The [Sign Up for PlayStation Network] and [Account Management] options have been improved. You an now create and manage an account more easily.

* A feature has been added that allows the PS3 system or wireless controller to turn off automatically when not used for a certain period of time. You can set this feature in [Settings] -> [Power Save Settings]

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/10/14/...e-to-download/

I noticed if you click the Turn off System Button/ICON (First set of Menus to your Left -> area with users, create New Users)

You will get the option: Do you want to turn off the system?
: Turn Off System Automatically After Back ground download
Also like it auto install the game/demo and then Turn the PS3 Off

* Tested Youtube and Hulu and they all work fine..

* Under Systems Settings
Option for : Divx VOD Registration Code ( Display the registration code that is required to play Divx VOD content )

50 Hz Video Output: Automatic/50 Hz
Sets the playback method for content that is recorded at 50Hz. This setting is used for content that is saved on the hard disk. (thanks Shin-Ra)

Looks Like the Volume Control has 9 Ticks instead of 4.

The Store looks improved. Much Faster. If you leave the Selection Under The PSN Store Icon you get Info. New Logo when you go into Store

Bigger icons on Some parts of the PS3 Interface, Much better layout of

* Use The R-Rigger to Zoom in on Videos or Full Screen Option
*Web Browsers Runs much Better

No Problems with Media Streaming : Tversity Works

Tested Some Blu-Rays.. No Problems

When watching A Video Select View button: You will get a Scene Search/Animated Thumbnails of the Video.

Zoom Feature Added to Life with Playstation. You have to Press R3 Then R2 or L2 to zoom in/zoom out to read the news better.

Firmware 2.50 adds hidden recovery menu

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/10/18/...recovery-menu/

"It appears that firmware 2.50 also added one other feature, meant to help PS3 owners that are trying to troubleshoot their system. A recovery menu (pictured above) gives users access to a variety of restore features. It will even allow users to install a new firmware update, should anything go wrong during the installation process. To access the menu, you must hold down the power button to turn on the PS3 until you hear three beeps. Then the menu will show up.

There are a few reports of systems bricking after firmware updates, so this may be Sony's attempt at creating a fix for future problems. Hopefully, we'll never have to actually use this feature -- but if we do, it may be a quick way of avoiding a trip to the post office to send the PS3 to Sony's support center.

[Thanks, Noshino!]"

Last edited by dominica; 10-18-2008 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Updated Info
Old 10-13-2008, 06:52 PM
O_o

I'm really looking forward to it, I once again suggested on their blog to add in-movie XMB for BD. It's the only thing I really want.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:50 PM

background downloading and power save are AWESOME but also kind of 'about time' ish. 360 has had these features for a LONG time.

In-game screenshots, however, could be an AMAZING addition. It's something i've wanted on either console for as long as I can remember. I do see it's supported on a game by game basis though, so if it's anything like Trophies it'll probably suck.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:18 PM

In-game screenshots, however, could be an AMAZING addition. It's something i've wanted on either console for as long as I can remember. I do see it's supported on a game by game basis though, so if it's anything like Trophies it'll probably suck.[/QUOTE]

it would be nice if it had some type of memory to it. halo 3 had 25 games stored itself.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:11 PM

gee power saving features..
these should've been included from the very beginning.

How about auto standby from inactivity? When are we getting that? My xbox360 already does all of the above.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Banned

How about they fix the PS3 being a POS for streaming media?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsg View Post
How about they fix the PS3 being a POS for streaming media?
Explain what problems you having with streaming media?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
* In-game Screenshots - this tool will allow everyone to capture, share and in other words, immortalize their favorite gameplay moments. This will be supported on a game by game basis. Please check back to find out which games will support this feature.
I'd like to see this for movies.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:47 AM
Formerly mgillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominica View Post
Explain what problems you having with streaming media?
Liklihood, he can't... I don't have any problems at all. Reality is, he is complaining that some unknown files he downloaded from some random torrent site, that are probabily OK, and in some known format, don't play correctly sometimes...

The bottom line, if you encode your own content in a supported format, PS3 is a great streaming solution, if you download random crap that other people have encoded for some other target hardware, who knows what will happen...

All I know, is PS3 media format support is vastly superior to what the 360 offers.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jzgte View Post
gee power saving features..
these should've been included from the very beginning.

How about auto standby from inactivity? When are we getting that? My xbox360 already does all of the above.

It's built in. It's called the power button. If you aren't using it, turn it off. Pretty easy really. I don't see myself using the new power saving features at all because my system isn't on when I'm not using it.