HELP. Ipod Nano 4th Gen Recognized by PS3?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-08-2008, 06:42 AM

Default HELP. Ipod Nano 4th Gen Recognized by PS3??

Hey guys,

I know this is not 100% the right thread to ask the question but nobody on AVforums seems inclined to help.
I'm wondering the following:

If put in External Disk mode, will the PS3 recognize the new Ipod Nano?
Will I be able to transfer files, for example movies, from it to the PS3?
See my thread on avforums for more detailed info:

It's called: ipod nano 4g external hard disk ps3 compatible, post7874589. (I can't provide a link since I haven't posted more than 10 messages yet )

I am pretty convinced (read some older forums here and there) this is possible but not 100% sure and I need to be 100% sure

Hope one of you guys can help
Old 10-09-2008, 12:21 PM

IT IS POSSIBLE
PC users will however suffer a file size limit of 4GB unless they change the IPOD memory to NFTS (don't format it or you'll damage your player, there's a special option in itunes I believe).
However, the PS3 doesn't recognize NFTS so for PC users it's a little frustrating.
On Mac however, since everything is FAT32, you've got yourself a 16GB flash memory stick which happens to also play some music
Old 10-09-2008, 05:12 PM

Semi-related question actually. I put a bunch of music on my PS3 via my Ipod and maybe 75-80% of the songs came over with weird four letter/number file names instead of the right name. Any idea what causes this or a way to work around it?
Old 10-11-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignacy View Post
IT IS POSSIBLE
PC users will however suffer a file size limit of 4GB unless they change the IPOD memory to NFTS (don't format it or you'll damage your player, there's a special option in itunes I believe).
However, the PS3 doesn't recognize NFTS so for PC users it's a little frustrating.
On Mac however, since everything is FAT32, you've got yourself a 16GB flash memory stick which happens to also play some music
On the Mac it's be HFS+, not FAT32. FAT32 cannot have file sizes beyond 4Gb, regardless of what operating system reads it.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
Semi-related question actually. I put a bunch of music on my PS3 via my Ipod and maybe 75-80% of the songs came over with weird four letter/number file names instead of the right name. Any idea what causes this or a way to work around it?
That's the way it works on an iPod - presumably to fight piracy, or perhaps to shrink the size of the database the iPod uses to keep track of the songs.

Work your way around it by using an external USB hard drive, they're not expensive. The side benefit is that you also have a spare drive to back up your PS3 for the time when its hard drive finally fails (as all hard drives eventually do).
Old 10-11-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squozen View Post
That's the way it works on an iPod - presumably to fight piracy, or perhaps to shrink the size of the database the iPod uses to keep track of the songs.

Work your way around it by using an external USB hard drive, they're not expensive. The side benefit is that you also have a spare drive to back up your PS3 for the time when its hard drive finally fails (as all hard drives eventually do).
Cool, I figured that was the case with the ipod. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squozen View Post
When I want to play the iPod music over the PS3, it's a pain in the gut because I simply don't know where's the music I want to play. I have to go through 3 or 4 sub-folders only to find random songs of my library, that may -- or may not be songs, audio podcasts, mi own recorded reminders, and so on.

Is there a way to see the iPod contents in the PS3 just as in the Xbox360? Artist, Albums, Playlists, Genres, etc...? Any setting, program or mod that can be installed on the PS3 to display the info like that? (I remember there was an update I had to download from the Marketplace to enable this on the 360).

Having the music recorded as data (outside iTunes) on the iPod is repetitive and defeats the iPod's pupose, not to mention I still won't be able to browse seamlessly through Artists, Genres, Playlists... The point is, I don't want to spend money on an external drive I probably won't be needing / using.