PS3 Blu-ray picture very red... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-07-2008, 02:35 AM

Default PS3 Blu-ray picture very red...

(I had intended to put example pictures in this post but the 10 post limit will not let me as I've only just registered).

I'm using a ps3 on a standard widescreen (SD) telly through the 3-port scart lead but I have a problem with blu-ray playback.

Games play great (though obviously not in HD and in case anyone asks why I'm watching blu-ray films on a SD set it's because I don't want to buy the films I want to watch twice and I intend to upgrade in the future) and DVD's are fine but yesterday I purchased my first blu-ray film (Beowulf) and the picture colour is awful, it's really bright red!

Now this is a problem that I used to have with my old DVD player when playing region 1 DVD's (I'm region 2) and I managed to fix it by changing the NTSC & PAL settings on the DVD player, but there doesn't seem to be that option on the PS3.

Like I say, games play great, as do region 2 DVD's (can't check region 1).

My TV has 4 settings for the picture colour, Automatic, PAL, 4.43 NTSC and 3.58 NTSC. When in the PS3 main menu, Auto & PAL will display in colour, both of the NTSC settings are black and white. When playing Beowulf, PAL & 4.43 NTSC are B&W whilst Auto & 3.58 NTSC are in colour (albeit very bright red).

Also, the 3 plug scart adaptor that came with the PS3 wouldn't fit my TV so I used the one from the xbox, would this cause any problems?

I appreciate this is a bit of a long post but I appreciate any help that people can give!

Many thanks,

DG
Old 10-07-2008, 07:40 AM

So this is a PAL PS3 playing a region 2 BD? (Not that the region should matter - just trying to understand what you are using)
Old 10-07-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneratemoo View Post
Also, the 3 plug scart adaptor that came with the PS3 wouldn't fit my TV so I used the one from the xbox, would this cause any problems?
More than likely this is your problem.

Also, make sure you have your PS3 set to composite and not component in the display settings menu. If that doesn't work than try experimenting with different settings in the BD/DVD menu.

And if possible try your PS3 on a different TV to see if this is an issue with the PS3 itself or a compatibliity issue with your tv.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:17 PM

And those 3 port scart adapters kinda suck quality wise too, they just adapt the composite (lowest picture quality) for a scart input but you don't get a scart quality rgb signal from it.

Get a proper scart cable when you can, or pref component if your tv has the inputs (and if you go component your tv will need to have audio inputs too).