PS3 and SACD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-11-2008, 11:40 AM

Default PS3 and SACD

I played a new Diana Krall SACD last night and it defaulted to the 5.1 track in the PS3. I wanted to test out the 2 channel track also, but in order to do this I had to turn on the projector and use the XMB to select it.

Is there another way to do this? I don't want to burn projector hours when listening to music.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:29 PM

once you select your 2 channel track then just turn off the projector...don't think there is any other way to do it...
Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorB View Post
once you select your 2 channel track then just turn off the projector...don't think there is any other way to do it...
Most SACD players on the market are not hooked to tvs I am assuming. For those who have a non-PS3 sacd player, how do you switch between 2ch and 5.1? Is there a button on the remote normally?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:09 PM

I've used three different model sacd players, including the PS3, & they all default to 5.1, my suggestion to you would be to go to the PS3's sound settings & de-selecting all 5.1 options, otherwise dunno.... do you not have a 5.1 receiver/speakers or is it just that you prefer 2.0?
Old 09-11-2008, 02:13 PM

I prefer 5.1, but like to switch to the 2.0 track just to compare. Where SACD is obviously an audio technology, I had assumed there would be a way to switch between tracks without the use of a screen.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:33 PM

I have the same Dianna Krall SACD (my only one at the moment), and there is a bonus track in 2.0 that isn't in 5.1, so you won't hear it unless you switch to 2.0.

Anyway, yes, the options are:
1. turn on the TV to start the 2.0 track, then switch it off.
2. memorize the button sequences so you don't have to look
3. get a PSP and use remote play
4. get another SACD player

Not like you don't have a choice!
Old 09-11-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
I have the same Dianna Krall SACD (my only one at the moment), and there is a bonus track in 2.0 that isn't in 5.1, so you won't hear it unless you switch to 2.0.

Anyway, yes, the options are:
1. turn on the TV to start the 2.0 track, then switch it off.
2. memorize the button sequences so you don't have to look
3. get a PSP and use remote play
4. get another SACD player

Not like you don't have a choice!
Thank you for such an insightful and helpful response. The first option you present is the reason for the thread in the first place, and the last two require buying separate hardware. Maybe option 5 would be for me to get Diana to play in my living room.

This really pertains to having a projector. For those that have one, you know that you don't want to switch it on for a minute and then off again. I was just wondering if there way to switch PS3 SACD between 2.0 and 5.1 without a video component involved. If not, then I guess I will live with it.

Last edited by GrilledCheese; 09-11-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrilledCheese View Post
Most SACD players on the market are not hooked to tvs I am assuming. For those who have a non-PS3 sacd player, how do you switch between 2ch and 5.1? Is there a button on the remote normally?
I am sure a huge majority of SACD players in service are connected to a display. I have several players and about 200 SACD's and although I usually play the discs without turning the display on, I believe the setup before using the players always required a display to accomplish. I believe I can switch between SACD 2.0, SACD Multichannel and CD with the remotes which requires restart of the SACD but those functions do vary by player. Some of the players I own in addition to the PS3 are the Oppo DV-970H, the Oppo DV-980H, the Yamaha DVD-S1500, the Denon DVD-2910, the Denon DVD-1920. All of mine are also DVD players in addition to SACD players but I would assume the dedicated SACD players from Sony may include models without need of a display. I don't use a PS3 for SACD, primarily because it is far more expensive than my other modest SACD playes which do a great job and I prefer to save the wear and tear on the PS3.

Sometimes I do turn on a display for SACD just to see track listing and quickly select songs. I have been planning on using my 80GB PS3 for SACD just to see what I think, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I do have a single Blu-ray audio only disc, a Surround Records classical disc and I can play it using my PS3 without need of a display.

Chris
Old 09-12-2008, 01:53 AM

Quote:
For those who have a non-PS3 sacd player, how do you switch between 2ch and 5.1? Is there a button on the remote normally?
Some players such as this recently introduced Sony SCD-XA5400ES feature a preference switch "Multi/2ch" on the back.

The player I use myself, a Philips SACD1000, has a button on the remote like you suggest. It lets me switch between CD, SACD stereo and SACD multichannel. The player also has a menu setting for the preferred default.

Quote:
Most SACD players on the market are not hooked to TVs I am assuming.
I doubt that. Most SACD players are multiformat DVD/SACD players rather than audio-only CD/SACD ones and PS3 is starting to count in significantly. I do think most SACD players are not hooked up to projectors.

Last edited by The Seventh Taylor; 09-12-2008 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris gerhard View Post
I am sure a huge majority of SACD players in service are connected to a display. I have several players and about 200 SACD's and although I usually play the discs without turning the display on, I believe the setup before using the players always required a display to accomplish. I believe I can switch between SACD 2.0, SACD Multichannel and CD with the remotes which requires restart of the SACD but those functions do vary by player. Some of the players I own in addition to the PS3 are the Oppo DV-970H, the Oppo DV-980H, the Yamaha DVD-S1500, the Denon DVD-2910, the Denon DVD-1920. All of mine are also DVD players in addition to SACD players but I would assume the dedicated SACD players from Sony may include models without need of a display. I don't use a PS3 for SACD, primarily because it is far more expensive than my other modest SACD playes which do a great job and I prefer to save the wear and tear on the PS3.

Sometimes I do turn on a display for SACD just to see track listing and quickly select songs. I have been planning on using my 80GB PS3 for SACD just to see what I think, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I do have a single Blu-ray audio only disc, a Surround Records classical disc and I can play it using my PS3 without need of a display.

Chris
Thanks, this was very helpful