Game reccomendations - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-08-2008, 03:59 PM

Game recommendations

Hey folks, up until a couple of years ago I owned every major system and lots of game for each. However in the past three years Iíve done the following: graduated university, started my career, got married, had a kid (sheís 2 now), and just this week started grad school. So while I used to get in plenty of gaming time, I now only have a couple of hours a week.

I currently have all 3 major systems. I got a Wii at launch, a 360 when Halo 3 came out, and I just got a PS3 last week. Despite having very little time for it, Iím trying to squeeze a bit more gaming time in to keep me sane! So Iím hoping you can help me out with some game recommendations for the PS3. So far I have MGS4 and Lair. I'm really enjoying Lair with the analog controls as I was a big fan of the Rogue Squadron games on N64 and Gamecube.

I know a lot of people like to get more bang for their buck, but I want to play some short games! Aside from Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess, I think the last game I completed was Shadow of the Colossus for PS2. Iíd also like a game that lets me play in short bursts so that I can slip in 20 or 30 minutes here and there.

I like most genres except for FPSs. Iíve come to accept that I am terrible at them, and thatís why I donít enjoy them. I may give Bioshock and Portal a go, but otherwise I think Iíll leave them alone. I open to pretty much any other recommendation though.

Last edited by whitefinger; 09-08-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:10 PM

Well, if you want to play for short periods, you can always get Ratchet and Clank for action/platform and Motorstorm for arcade racing. Do not in any case get Oblivion as that will suck the life out of your body.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:13 PM
HDD Contributor

If you want shorter games, you really need to browse the Playstation Store. A lot of the original titles there are perfect for the kind of "bite size" gaming that you're looking for, and many of those titles are surprisingly original.

Siren, for example, is a downloadable horror game that divides the gamplay up into episodic chunks, so each session really doesn't run more than 30 minutes to an hour, though I wouldn't let your kid be in the same room when you're playing it as it can actually be quite frightening.

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue is a DLC and disc based game that is also fairly manageable in small amounts since it's a racing game, but this also depends largely on your taste for that genre.

I recently finished Bionic Commando: Rearmed, which is another PSN downloadable title, and for fans of old school, 2D platform gaming, I cannot recommend it enough. However, the lack of a jump button and the brutal difficulty of the game will quickly separate the old school gamer from the new generation ADD types with no patience for games that lack mercy.

Everyday Shooter is a very relaxing downloadable shooter game that can also be played in small chunks, and if you want something with more adrenaline, the perfect counterpart is Super Stardust HD, which has levels so insanely fast it almost requires you be on crack-cocaine just to keep up.

There's also Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty, which is fun and can be finished in 4 hours or less. It might help if you play the original disc game, Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction. The game is very kid friendly and if your daughter is going to turn into a gamer, this might be a good title to introduce her to in a year or three when she's ready to pick up the up controller.

And of course, the ultimate short fix for games are the music games. You can't go wrong with either Rock Band or Guitar Hero, but I'd personally recommend Rock Band, or its successor Rock Band 2. The band component is a lot of fun since it means an entire family can play together, and the fact that new music is released on a weekly basis ensures that the game is never neglected for too long as there's always some song by a new/old favorite band that comes out that you just have to try out on drums, guitar or vocals.

It really all depends on your taste in gaming, which I know nothing about, but there are lots of suggestions.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:33 PM

Thanks, this helps a lot! Like I said, I like most genres. I'm not a big fan of FPSs, tactical/strategy games, simulation racers, or sports games. I have GH I, II, III, and Rock Band for PS2, so now I need to get an adapter to use my PS2 guitars. Do you suppose I could use the PS3 Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero 4 guitar on the PS2 games?

Like I said, I also have a 360 so I want to try out Braid as I've heard it's good and short. PixelJunk Eden looks really interesting, so I'll at least try the demo.

My daughter loves to play games with me, but I usually just give her a 360 controller with no battery pack since she doesn't quite get it yet. She always shouts "I'm winning!" so she doesn't seem to mind. Once she's old enough I'm hoping to get some games we can play together.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:39 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefinger View Post
Thanks, this helps a lot! Like I said, I like most genres. I'm not a big fan of FPSs, tactical/strategy games, simulation racers, or sports games. I have GH I, II, III, and Rock Band for PS2, so now I need to get an adapter to use my PS2 guitars. Do you suppose I could use the PS3 Rock Band 2 or Guitar Hero 4 guitar on the PS2 games?

Like I said, I also have a 360 so I want to try out Braid as I've heard it's good and short. PixelJunk Eden looks really interesting, so I'll at least try the demo.

My daughter loves to play games with me, but I usually just give her a 360 controller with no battery pack since she doesn't quite get it yet. She always shouts "I'm winning!" so she doesn't seem to mind. Once she's old enough I'm hoping to get some games we can play together.
In answer to your first question, the answer is a "Likely, no." The PS3 specific controllers have a hard time talking to the PS2 by virtue of being wireless. There have been adapters that attempted to let PS2 guitar controllers be used on the PS3 but they've never been completely successful.

PixelJunk Eden is also a very interesting--albeit trippy--game. You can lose a lot of time to that game. You might also consider PixelJunk Monsters, by the same company. It's an earlier title, but it's absolutely diabolical how simple it seems but how enormously deep the gameplay can get. Both very addictive, "quick fix" games.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefinger View Post

I take my PS3 Rock Band 1 Drums, Mic, Guitar to my brothers house and play all the time (he has a PS2). I don't know about the RB2 equiptment, but I can't imagine it would connect any differently than the current generation. I know the RB2 drums are wireless now, but if it is wireless with the receiver (like the RB1 guitars) then you shouldn't have a problem because the PS2 takes USB. In addition to this. RB1 equipment is compatible with RB2, so I would assume that it is a good bet that RB2 for PS3 equipment will be compatible with PS2 out of the box like RB1 was.

Also, I highly suggest picking up Uncharted (uses a checkpoint system and can be beaten in about 5-10 hours of playtime).

If you liked rogue squadron, you may like Warhawk. A typical game of Warhawk is 30 minutes, so you can get in a solid game if you don't have much time. You can choose to fight in a plane, on the ground as a troop, or in vehicles like tanks or grounded weapons like turrets and battery cannons.

I would also suggest Super Stardust HD from the PSN. Fantastic game that you can play through all five levels in about 2 hours. Best part is it is replayable over and over and over to get as a high a score as possible, and with the expansion that adds time attack and endless modes, it is good for expanding also.

And as always, Rock Band is the ultimate pick up and play game. I normally try to play 2 or 3 songs before work and can do so in under 15 minutes.

Good luck, have fun!

PS: Your daughter gets awesome points for yelling "I'm winning!" That is a cute overload in my book. Must make you tingle with butterflies inside when you hear her scream that. (Sorry for how unmanly that last part sounded, but as a fellow father, I can't wait for that to happen to me one day.)
Old 09-09-2008, 05:15 AM

Uncharted is one of the best games on PS3(my fave so far behind MGS4) it is great to pick up for about 30min to an hour, or longer if you have time. And it isn't too long of a game, you can finish it in under 15hrs easily, plus it has trophies now!!!

oh the Rockband guitars are actually exactly the same for PS2 and 3, they plug into into the USB port instead of the controller port for PS2(and even has the PS button but it isnt used) like i said they are the same as for GH1/2/3 i do not know. but im guessing you got your guitars with GH 1 and/or 2 and dont have a RB guitar...
Old 09-09-2008, 11:01 AM

Warhawk is my ultimate pick up and play game!

No match is longer than 30mins! Every time you play it your strategies change depending on where you are, what weapon you have, or type of player your facing! The latest update includes trophies and an neat tutorial to get used to all aspects of gameplay as the learning curve tends to be high.

It's a greatest hits game now too at $29! You can get the BD version used at most places for $24. Still tonnes of people playing it too!

~d
Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 AM

Burnout Paradise
Rachet and Clank: Future Tools of Destruction
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Old 09-09-2008, 03:25 PM

Another vote for Uncharted, for sure! Each level maybe lasts 30 mins, but you can save at any time, so it's a great pick-up-and-play game!

If you like sports, you can always try Madden 09 and MLB The Show - both of those let you save at any point during the game. Finally.