My PS3 died today! Yellow Light of Death - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-29-2008, 09:50 PM

Angry My PS3 died today! Yellow Light of Death

I was playing call of duty 4 online when all of the sudden the PS3 made a few beeping sounds and then crashed to a flashing red light. I tried a soft reset but that didn't work so I tried turning it on normally and it turns on for 1 maybe 2 seconds then turns to a yellow light and then back to a flashing red light. It wont even stay on long enough for me to eject my COD4 from the disc drive. I would hate to lose all my game saves (GTAIV, MGS4, etc.) but it looks like I'm going to.

After spending time on the phone with Sony's tech support, I was told that there is nothing they can do. My only option is to pay $150 for a refurbished model, which will only be covered for 90 days. The thing that really pisses me off is that sony will not replace my Playstation 3, despite the problem being "completely random and due to hardware defects."

For those worried about this happening to them, I have (had) a 60 GB model purchased January 2007 and use it about 50/50 playing games and watching blu-ray. Sorry if I wasted your time but I had to share my misery with others!

I gave in with the tech dude and they are sending me a coffin to mail the ps3 to Texas for $150. My options are pretty limited. I also hope I get the COD4 disc stuck inside my current PS3!!!

Peace
Old 07-29-2008, 10:01 PM

Tough luck, buddy. Hopefully the repair company is fast.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRayistheWay View Post
I was playing call of duty 4 online when all of the sudden the PS3 made a few beeping sounds and then crashed to a flashing red light. I tried a soft reset but that didn't work so I tried turning it on normally and it turns on for 1 maybe 2 seconds then turns to a yellow light and then back to a flashing red light. It wont even stay on long enough for me to eject my COD4 from the disc drive. I would hate to lose all my game saves (GTAIV, MGS4, etc.) but it looks like I'm going to.

After spending time on the phone with Sony's tech support, I was told that there is nothing they can do. My only option is to pay $150 for a refurbished model, which will only be covered for 90 days. The thing that really pisses me off is that sony will not replace my Playstation 3, despite the problem being "completely random and due to hardware defects."

For those worried about this happening to them, I have (had) a 60 GB model purchased January 2007 and use it about 50/50 playing games and watching blu-ray. Sorry if I wasted your time but I had to share my misery with others!

I gave in with the tech dude and they are sending me a coffin to mail the ps3 to Texas for $150. My options are pretty limited. I also hope I get the COD4 disc stuck inside my current PS3!!!

Peace
I'm assuming you didn't get the extended (2 yr) store plan ... like at Best Buy, Circuit City.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I feel bad that your PS3 broke and I hope you get everything resolved.

But that highlighted bit is curious. Why would you expect Sony to replace your unit for free when it is outside its waranty. Pretty much everything that breaks does it because of a random hardware defect. If it hadn't become defective it wouldnt have broken? But ellectronics are only covered for the time of their warranty (typically 1 year) after that its no longer up to the supplier to replace a broken unit.

Nobody would replace a unit out of warranty for free....Sony are no different.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Peace
If it's not under warranty why would they replace it? They are giving you a deal for $150.
Unless they extend the warranty like MS did with the 360.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:32 PM

Get the replacement refurb for $150. Ask Sony if you can buy an extended warranty for the refurb, that way you at least protect yourself in the future.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:

I gave in with the tech dude and they are sending me a coffin to mail the ps3 to Texas for $150.
Will you be getting a refurbed 60gb model?
Old 07-30-2008, 02:45 PM

First of all they said they can't offer any extended warranty on the refurb model, only the limited 90 day warranty that starts the day I receive the PS3. I guess I was just really pissed yesterday with the fact I've never had a problem with the system and it breathes perfectly fine, which is what the tech thought was probably the problem. Also the fact I'm losing my MGS4 and GTAIV game saves along with a lot of other game saves. I'm really close to beating GTAIV and I'm on actIII of MGS4 so it sucks but what can you do? They said I will be getting the same 60 GB model PS3 so thats good and I wanted to make sure it would have backwards compatibility and they assured me it would. I will update this thread when I get my situation resolved.....
Old 07-30-2008, 02:51 PM

Time to do regular backups of your PS3 drive. That way if something happpens in the future you won't lose your data.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
First of all they said they can't offer any extended warranty on the refurb model, only the limited 90 day warranty that starts the day I receive the PS3. I guess I was just really pissed yesterday with the fact I've never had a problem with the system and it breathes perfectly fine, which is what the tech thought was probably the problem. Also the fact I'm losing my MGS4 and GTAIV game saves along with a lot of other game saves. I'm really close to beating GTAIV and I'm on actIII of MGS4 so it sucks but what can you do? They said I will be getting the same 60 GB model PS3 so thats good and I wanted to make sure it would have backwards compatibility and they assured me it would. I will update this thread when I get my situation resolved.....
That sucks.....I'm very sorry to hear about the game saves. As much as I know I should back up data ect I never seem to get around to it either and it would really suck to loose everything.

If the problem with the PS3 is hardware but not the hard drive is there any way to back up the game saves before you send it back. Its easy to take out but not sure if a PC could read anything off the drive.