Best TV for gaming - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-13-2008, 01:58 PM

Default Best TV for gaming

I'm getting ready to purchase a new TV. My concern is what is the best type of TV for gaming DLP, Plasma or LCD.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Watcher of stances

this is subjective depending on who you ask and what you're willing to pay.

i have a samsung 56" 1080P DLP that i love. extremely bright, no ghosting, wasn't very expensive (about 1100$). however, every 3-4 years i need to buy a 125$ replacement bulb. the highlight of this is when i put that new bulb in, it's like i have a brand new TV.

Older plasma models suffered from burn-in issues and size constraints. newer ones have broke the 42" barrier but come at a high cost. you'll have to do some research if burn-in is still a problem.

Older LCD models suffered from horrendous ghosting and size constraints. both issues have been corrected, but at a very high cost.

you really can't go wrong with any of the 3 these days.
you need to decide what size you want, does it need to be true flat (hang on a wall), and what your budget is.

HDTV's mostly fit into the "get what you pay for" classification.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:48 PM

55" http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...Projection+TVs

or

60" http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...Projection+TVs

or

50" http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/458753157

since Sony stopped making projections they are getting harder and harder to find

EDIT: I just had to copypasta what i just read at AVS..

hwjohn
"The A3000's PQ has been consistently rated as second only to a Pioneer Kuro. Generally speaking, if you don't think that the A3000 PQ is good enough, then you probably aren't going to find another set that will suit you either. You aren't going to find any new models that are somehow significantly more accurate in color because the A3000 is almost dead on as it is."

davehancock
ISF Calibrator

"I've calibrated both the Kuro and the A3000. As far as picture accuracy is concerned - the A3000 is more accurate. But, as you point out, there are pros and cons to each:
The A3000 (and all RPTVs) have SSE
The A3000 has a narrower viewing angle than many RPTVs (including earlier SXRDs)
The A3000 is brighter - MUCH better suited to a bright room.
The A3000 has a lamp that will likely "burn out" (actually the wrong term) after 8,000 hrs (that's a long time - 4 1/2 years @ 5hrs/day).
The Kuro, like most plasmas, suffers from reflections from the screen. This can be a BIG issue for some (me included)."

Last edited by junglalien; 07-02-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealo View Post
i have a samsung 56" 1080P DLP
Do you have any problems with games being a tiny bit out of sync?

I also have a Samsung 56" DLP and (which I love BTW) but when playing games like Guitar Hero, DDR, etc (where timing is everything) it seems to not be quite on, even on game mode it seems like there is a slight delay.

I haven't really researched this because I usually play on my other TV but I was just curious if you have any suggestions or comments and if this is something the OP should be aware of.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:04 AM

Burn in is a thing of the past on plasma's.
My Samsung is psychotic.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooswing View Post
Do you have any problems with games being a tiny bit out of sync?

I also have a Samsung 56" DLP and (which I love BTW) but when playing games like Guitar Hero, DDR, etc (where timing is everything) it seems to not be quite on, even on game mode it seems like there is a slight delay.

I haven't really researched this because I usually play on my other TV but I was just curious if you have any suggestions or comments and if this is something the OP should be aware of.
That's on all high definition setups. LCD, Plasma, DLP, etc; all have "Lag" associated with their HD pictures. Guitar Hero 2, Guitar Hero 3, and Rock Band all have audio/video calibration features to counteract that. Unfortunately, a lot of older games (PS2 music games like Frequency, Amplitude, and Guitar Hero 1) do not offer calibration features and thus are prone to lag, you need to use the system via composite (480i) to lessen it a bit.

It usually isn't too noticeable, but music games require a lot of precision which makes it a bit of a problem.

I'm personally gaming on a Mitsubishi HD1000U 720p DLP projector I got about a year ago. It'd be really hard to go back to a regular TV at this point.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seihaku View Post
That's on all high definition setups. LCD, Plasma, DLP, etc; all have "Lag" associated with their HD pictures. Guitar Hero 2, Guitar Hero 3, and Rock Band all have audio/video calibration features to counteract that. Unfortunately, a lot of older games (PS2 music games like Frequency, Amplitude, and Guitar Hero 1) do not offer calibration features and thus are prone to lag, you need to use the system via composite (480i) to lessen it a bit.

It usually isn't too noticeable, but music games require a lot of precision which makes it a bit of a problem.

I'm personally gaming on a Mitsubishi HD1000U 720p DLP projector I got about a year ago. It'd be really hard to go back to a regular TV at this point.
I have no lag at all.....
Old 06-19-2008, 12:22 PM

I've experienced lag also, but with my hd cable. Anyone else notice this? I've got a 26 inch LCD that's more than enough for my needs, although the only reason I got it instead of a 32 inch is because I saved about $700 getting it.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:23 PM

Sony Bravia or Sharp. Depends on your budget, what size you want it for and what you'll be using it for of course. If it's just for yourself or something for the bedroom then get a 26"-32" and that's perfect. If you want to go all out and want something for everyone in the living room, get something bigger than a 42".
Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SungofSam View Post
Burn in is a thing of the past on plasma's.
My Samsung is psychotic.
This is now a true statement.

To the OP, look at as many sets as you can, read online reviews (like CNET) and join a forum (like the AVS forum). At that point, it is a matter of what you want, and how much you want to spend. I personally have a 42" 1080P Sharp Aquos and think it kicks ass!