When is DTS HD MA coming to PS3? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-22-2007, 01:19 PM

Default When is DTS HD MA coming to PS3?

Anybody have an idea when DTS HD MA is coming to PS3? Or if I have HDMI receiever does it required support on the PS3?

Reason I thinking of getting a new receiver and this enhancement will make big difference for me. I likely get HDMI 1.3 reciever.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:04 PM

Default PS3 DTS-MA and Dolby True HD

It's interesting you asked. i have been trying to find out since the PS3 came out. Sony claimed to release the update in March, however here we are in April and no word from Sony about it. I called Sony like 15 times and asked them about the new sound formats, but their reps are uneducated and nobody knew what these sound formats were, let alone if the PS3 supports them. However, I have an Onkyo HDMI receiver ($400.00, which I reccomend, by the way) that supports PCM 5.1 uncompressed. I rented Kingdom of Heaven on Blu-Ray which supports DTS-MA and put it in and wow, what a difference. You would not believe the sound and the ambiance you get out of your speakers. Now I am hooked and always look for the DTS-HD/MA or Dolby True HD logo. I believe that you need to change your setup first and then you'll see the difference. When it comes to PS3 officially supporting, I am not sure. Any comments from anybody would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:43 PM

I am interested in this - and so far what I think I will do is planned to get a new receiver - likely a Denom AVR-3808ci which is release this july. It suppose to have support for DTS MA support.

One question is that it may actually depend on your reciever - it maybe more than the fact it support uncompress audio. Especially I am not sure what difference would be between 5.1 and 7.1 Uncompressed audio.

There are other here that likely have better information on it.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:51 AM

Right now, it will decode DTS-HD MA but if it is output as a bitstream, you will only hear the "core" DTS, since there are currently NO receivers that support these new formats. But it can internally decode and convert it to a LPCM soundtrack. I got the Onkyo HT-S907, which is $700, and has the hdmi if you are looking for a good ht setup w/ hdmi.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titolajko View Post
It's interesting you asked. i have been trying to find out since the PS3 came out. Sony claimed to release the update in March, however here we are in April and no word from Sony about it. I called Sony like 15 times and asked them about the new sound formats, but their reps are uneducated and nobody knew what these sound formats were, let alone if the PS3 supports them. However, I have an Onkyo HDMI receiver ($400.00, which I reccomend, by the way) that supports PCM 5.1 uncompressed. I rented Kingdom of Heaven on Blu-Ray which supports DTS-MA and put it in and wow, what a difference. You would not believe the sound and the ambiance you get out of your speakers. Now I am hooked and always look for the DTS-HD/MA or Dolby True HD logo. I believe that you need to change your setup first and then you'll see the difference. When it comes to PS3 officially supporting, I am not sure. Any comments from anybody would be appreciated.

The PS3 does not decode DTS MA, what you are hearing is the core 1.5Mbps DTS track. If you think that sounds amazing, wait till you actually hear the DTS HD MA track. It'll be 10x better.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:41 PM

That is my bad, you are right. An educated Sony official confirmed that the PS3 can only decode DTS, DD and Dolby TrueHD(although no Blu-ray movies have this now, only a few music videos, Letters From Iwo Jima 1st Blu-ray DTHD) I am only hearing the "core" DTS track at 1.5mbps. BUT, the PS3 can decode Dolby TrueHD and output as a linear PCM 7.1

Last edited by dajohn29; 04-04-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:32 AM

They can't add DTS-HD decoding soon enough, especially since FOX loves it so much. The only thing is that HDMI receivers are not exactly mainstream yet so only a small percentage of users will benefit.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:20 PM

Default DTS HD MA bitstream from PS3?

Has Sony actually published something official saying they will add DTS HD MA decoding capability to the PS3? I am now referring to PS3 internal capability to uncompress and output the sound track in its full glory as PCM 5.1/7.1 via the HDMI connection.

However, does anyone know if the PS3 already without the upgrade outputs DTS HD MA as bitstream (if you set HDMI sound output to bitstream)? This would mean another option to upgrade to DTS-HD by purchasing a DTS-HD capable amplifier if they ever become available...

Additionally, does anyone know if the PS3 can also decode dolby digital+? This is of course not a big deal right as there are no DD+ titles out there but I am asking out of curiosity - you would think that DD TrueHD certification would always also mean DD+ capability.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:18 PM

Yes, the PS3 can output DTS-HD Master Audio untouched via bitstream, but currently no receivers support this. If you want get the Onkyo TX-SR605
Old 11-08-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohn29 View Post
Yes, the PS3 can output DTS-HD Master Audio untouched via bitstream, but currently no receivers support this. If you want get the Onkyo TX-SR605
I dont think this is true.