PS3 Web Browser - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-25-2008, 06:08 PM

Default PS3 Web Browser

How is the PS3 for Web Surfing? All I could find was stuff from 2006 that said it was pretty bad. I'm sure the experience has improved by now...any thoughts? Can you save bookmarks, check e-mail...perhaps look at UTUBE low res stuff?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2008, 06:18 PM

It hasn't really changed. It's great though if you have a bluetooth keyboard to type with. The Flash player in it is out of date, but it will play Youtube videos, and homestarrunner.com (who needs anything else?). I like it for quickly looking things up on IMDB or Fandango without having to leave the couch or have a notebook computer in the living room.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:56 PM

If I want to web-browse on my PS3, I boot into Linux and use Firefox. It is light-years ahead in user-friendliness and features:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/

Last edited by james; 01-25-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkingout View Post
How is the PS3 for Web Surfing? All I could find was stuff from 2006 that said it was pretty bad. I'm sure the experience has improved by now...any thoughts? Can you save bookmarks, check e-mail...perhaps look at UTUBE low res stuff?

Thanks
yes to all in fact im in the ps3 browser right now
Old 01-26-2008, 10:14 AM

Are you running a dual OS sys? Meaning, do you have the option to boot either to LINUX or PS3 (whatever it's called?) Also, I have read that the video does not work properly a with 3rd part OS...is this already squared away?

I think it would be ideal if the PS3 could boot in Linux and still perform all normal PS3 functions, without leaving the OS. Is this actually how it works?

Finally, how much disk space is needed for Linux and its associated programs.

Thanks for the help...I guess too many questions and not enough time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
If I want to web-browse on my PS3, I boot into Linux and use Firefox. It is light-years ahead in user-friendliness and features:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/

Last edited by checkingout; 01-26-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkingout View Post
Are you running a dual OS sys? Meaning, do you have the option to boot either to LINUX or PS3 (whatever it's called?)
Yes, you can chose what to boot into but its not like a computer where you turn it on and it asks you what OS you want to go into. From the XMB, you can chose your default OS to boot from and from then, it will boot into that. Everytime you want to get into Linux or PS3 OS, you need to reboot.

Quote:
Also, I have read that the video does not work properly a with 3rd part OS...is this already squared away?
not sure what you mean by that but right now, within Linux, you can almost play any known file to man. Also, with the new PS3 update, the PS3 can almost play 90% of video files out there too so that shouldnt be a problem in any way. If anything, my PS3 plays my Divx files and everything off my Network and you can transfer them on your PS3 and do lots of cool shit

Quote:
I think it would be ideal if the PS3 could boot in Linux and still perform all normal PS3 functions, without leaving the OS. Is this actually how it works?
Yea, you have to leave to boot into each OS separate, cant be in both at once.

Quote:
Finally, how much disk space is needed for Linux and its associated programs.
um, Around 12GB so I you would dedicate atleast 20GB to Linux. I have about 60GB for my Linux cause I have a 160GB HDD (soon 320 )
Old 01-27-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
Around 12GB so I you would dedicate atleast 20GB to Linux. I have about 60GB for my Linux cause I have a 160GB HDD (soon 320 )
You must be smoking something... PS3 only has 2 options for partitioning the drive for Linux. You can give 10 GB for OtherOS, or you can give 10 GB for PS3 OS. You can't choose arbitrary allotments.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenDude View Post
You must be smoking something... PS3 only has 2 options for partitioning the drive for Linux. You can give 10 GB for OtherOS, or you can give 10 GB for PS3 OS. You can't choose arbitrary allotments.
are you SURE? I could have sworn you could chose the amount. *puts the red weed down*
Old 01-27-2008, 04:49 PM

100%. Don't know why they did this though. But you definitely don't need 60 GB for Linux. 10 GB is plenty for any install, just put your media on an external drive.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenDude View Post
100%. Don't know why they did this though. But you definitely don't need 60 GB for Linux. 10 GB is plenty for any install, just put your media on an external drive.

The Green Dude is correct, as usual.