Upgrading PS3 Hard Drive Tutorial - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-21-2008, 03:39 PM

Default Upgrading PS3 Hard Drive Tutorial

Recently upgraded to 250 gigs. In my search I could only find some half ass tutorials and had to do it the hard way. I put this together to make it easier for whoever needs it.

I bought the original 20GB PS3 and as you might imagine, ran out of space too quickly. Even if you have the new 80GB PlayStation 3--you can always use more storage space. All that available hard disk space quickly disappears once you start downloading games, demos, and HD videos. Fortunately, Sony has designed the PS3 to allow owners to perform their own hard drive upgrades. However, giving console owners that freedom means upgraders will need to know how to select the right hard drive upgrade and the proper installation technique.

The first step to replacing the hard disk is to buy a new hard disk. The PS3 is compatible with just about any 2.5-inch SATA notebook hard disk, 54 RPM. As far as storage capacity goes, it doesn't make sense to go through the trouble of upgrading unless you go big: We're talking 120GB, 160GB, or even 250GB.

Once you have your upgrade drive, the next step is to backup the data on your current PS3 hard drive to an external storage unit. You can skip this step if you aren't attached to your music, videos, and game saves, but most of us will probably want to save all that information. The PS3 has a built-in software backup utility that can copy the PS3's hard drive contents to an external storage device, such as a USB Memory Stick or External Hard Drive. The removable storage device must use the FAT32 file system in order for the PS3 to recognize it. If you have an external hard drive that's formatted in NTFS, you can use the Disk Management utility in Windows to reformat the drive, but you'll need to create partitions on large external hard drives because Windows can do only FAT32 on drives 32GB or smaller. Backup utility can be found on System settings>Backup utility. Make sure you first plug in the storage media to the PS3 via USB, you will see it appear on the XMB under music, video, photos, etc. Once it appears then move to System settings>Backup Util and follow the onscreen prompts. The external drive will be selectable for back-up.

Everything will be saved on a PS3 folder: Your game saves, games downloaded, photos, videos, music, etc. Your PlayStation Network login and system settings will remain safe on the system during the entire process. After you have your data safely backed up, you can move on to the actual hard drive swap.

You will need a very small Phillips-head screwdriver to complete this part of the installation process. The PS3 owner's manual also includes step-by-step details on how to replace the hard drive, in case you need more instructions.

Turn off and unplug the system. Remove the plastic HD side panel, and remove the blue screw.

Open the metal latch, move the drive tray all the way to the right, and slide out the drive towards you.

Remove the four screws that hold the hard drive to the tray. Use a screwdriver that fits snugly because the screws are extremely tight and easy to strip. (Happened to me on 1 screw, had to use a pair of pliers to unscrew it) ……Damn it!

Swap in the new drive, exactly and replace the screws.
Put the drive tray back into the system and slide it into place. Then replace the blue screw and snap the side panel back onto the system.

When the PS3 is turned back on, you will need to format the new hard drive. It will automatically prompt you to do so. Just follow the onscreen instructions…Plug the external USB hard drive with all your saved files back into the PS3. Go back to the Saved Data Utility option, then load up the PS3 backup utility to restore data from your external storage device back onto the PS3 hard drive.

Finally, after your files are done copying over, you will see the XMB screen the way it used to be…..with all your files.
Now go to System info and you will see your new Hard Drive size. I installed a 250 Gig and ended up with 192 gig free space after the system and backup was installed.

Now….. if I could only do this on the 360!

Just some of the resources used:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6176090/index.html
http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/c...ve-p-2524.html
http://vgstrategies.about.com/od/ps3...DDriveSwap.htm
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...ssage.id=93514

Enjoy!!

Last edited by Blu-Bliss; 01-24-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:54 PM

Nice tutorial. I don't need this on my PS3 (yet) since I have the 60gb but it is nice to know that it is really easy to do. I wish I could do this to my stupid 20gb 360 though.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:55 PM

Here's a youtube tutorial on how to upgrade to a 750gb 3.5" drive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJrLMZw0Jp4
Old 01-21-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Have you done this?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I don't want it hanging outside the system, and that extra PSU is retarded.

Hardly a mod...
Old 01-21-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Bliss View Post
Have you done this?
I have. It's very tricky to get the SATA to connect to the male port inside the PS3. On top of that, you have this external enclosure (no power supply needed as shown in the video) hanging outside your system. It sounds nice to have a 750gb harddrive, but the truth is that it's overall better to upgrade using a 2.5" drive inside the PS3.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I have. It's very tricky to get the SATA to connect to the male port inside the PS3. On top of that, you have this external enclosure (no power supply needed as shown in the video) hanging outside your system. It sounds nice to have a 750gb harddrive, but the truth is that it's overall better to upgrade using a 2.5" drive inside the PS3.
can't agree more
Old 01-21-2008, 08:57 PM

Is there any way to make use of the old harddrive so I don't have a useless storage device sitting around doing nothing?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBM128 View Post
Is there any way to make use of the old harddrive so I don't have a useless storage device sitting around doing nothing?
it will work in your PC via SATA. Standard connectors.

Or you can get an external USB enclosure for backup.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
it will work in your PC via SATA. Standard connectors.

Or you can get an external USB enclosure for backup.
How much do the enclosures cost? Cuz thats an option I'm genuinely interested in. I live in a dorm so I don't have a whole lot of room for useless stuff.