Proud New Ps3 Owner - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-15-2008, 11:47 PM

Default Proud New Ps3 Owner

I wasn't expecting much when I bought my Ps3 early this morning. The machine in my eyes was a lot of Sony Hype and nothing more but with Warner's recent decision to go Blu only and my need for Disney Movies in HD I decided to take the plunge and given that the cheapest Blu Ray player was just 80 dollars shy of a 40gb Ps3 I sprung for it since I also love video games and am a proud Wii360 owner.

After spending just a few hours with the machine I'm blown away. Blu Rays of course look fantastic just like I expected maybe even a bit better than my Hd-Dvds since I'm using a 360 over component instead of a crisp all digital signal like the one thats coming out of my Ps3. Downloaded a bunch of demos and exclusives like Heavenly Sword and Uncharted are great. I'm just surprised with all the options and media functions of this machine and it plays video games. Honestly this thing is a tech geeks best friend. Anyone else get converted over to the dark(blu) side b/c of this machine?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeSomeHd View Post
I'm just surprised with all the options and media functions of this machine and it plays video games. Honestly this thing is a tech geeks best friend. Anyone else get converted over to the dark(blu) side b/c of this machine?
Yes, the PS3 is probably the best "all-in-one" piece of CE right now. If you are a tech geek, you should install linux on it.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
Yes, the PS3 is probably the best "all-in-one" piece of CE right now. If you are a tech geek, you should install linux on it.
How is Linux on the Ps3? I heard it was gimped since you can't access the graphics chip while running linux.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:11 AM

Welcome to the PS3.

You should go out and buy Uncharted and quick!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
How is Linux on the Ps3? I heard it was gimped since you can't access the graphics chip while running linux.
It can run a lot of basic stuff 2D stuff like SNES emulators.... Though I hear that some have found an unofficial way of accessing the RSX through some experimental crap.. http://www.n4g.com/tech/News-89605.aspx Hopefully Sony will allow linux to access it in the future.

This thread should give you some more info on linux for the PS3.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1
Old 01-16-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
It can run a lot of basic stuff 2D stuff like SNES emulators.... Though I hear that some have found an unofficial way of accessing the RSX through some experimental crap.. http://www.n4g.com/tech/News-89605.aspx Hopefully Sony will allow linux to access it in the future.

This thread should give you some more info on linux for the PS3.
http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1
Thx for the info much appreciated
Old 01-16-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
I wasn't expecting much when I bought my Ps3 early this morning. The machine in my eyes was a lot of Sony Hype and nothing more but with Warner's recent decision to go Blu only and my need for Disney Movies in HD I decided to take the plunge and given that the cheapest Blu Ray player was just 80 dollars shy of a 40gb Ps3 I sprung for it since I also love video games and am a proud Wii360 owner.

After spending just a few hours with the machine I'm blown away. Blu Rays of course look fantastic just like I expected maybe even a bit better than my Hd-Dvds since I'm using a 360 over component instead of a crisp all digital signal like the one thats coming out of my Ps3. Downloaded a bunch of demos and exclusives like Heavenly Sword and Uncharted are great. I'm just surprised with all the options and media functions of this machine and it plays video games. Honestly this thing is a tech geeks best friend. Anyone else get converted over to the dark(blu) side b/c of this machine?
I don't know why, but that statement seems to describe a lot of people. And most end up like you, loving it after they try it. Unfortunatly, there are a lot who will just keep on thinking like that.

But anyway, congrats on your purchase...glad you like it.
Heavenly Sword is a great game, but maybe just a rental...too short to recommend spending $60.
Uncharted is an excellent game and I recommend to anyone as well as Warhawk.
As far as PSN downloads...my recommendations go to Calling All Cars and Pain.
Have fun!
Old 01-16-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly79 View Post
I don't know why, but that statement seems to describe a lot of people. And most end up like you, loving it after they try it. Unfortunatly, there are a lot who will just keep on thinking like that.

But anyway, congrats on your purchase...glad you like it.
Heavenly Sword is a great game, but maybe just a rental...too short to recommend spending $60.
Uncharted is an excellent game and I recommend to anyone as well as Warhawk.
As far as PSN downloads...my recommendations go to Calling All Cars and Pain.
Have fun!
After finishing Uncharted I have 2 things to say. First the story is great. Second the combat and controls are horrible.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:45 PM

Didn't have a problem with the combat except for the seemlessly endless wave after wave of pirates they throw at you. I was having a hard time believing that there is this many pirates in the whole world than what they have on this tiny island. Even Drake mutters at one point "Where the hell do these guys come from?". But, I think a auto lock option would have been nice.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky Pine View Post
Didn't have a problem with the combat except for the seemlessly endless wave after wave of pirates they throw at you. I was having a hard time believing that there is this many pirates in the whole world than what they have on this tiny island. Even Drake mutters at one point "Where the hell do these guys come from?". But, I think a auto lock option would have been nice.
I found the controls to be sluggish at times and unresponsive, the camera angles didn't help at times where it would get stuck on a wall and I couldn't pan around.

Also the zombie parts screamed ripoff to me (speaking of resident evil games).