How HDD-consuming are PS3 game installs? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Banned

Default How HDD-consuming are PS3 game installs?

Basically what the question asks. How much space does installing PS3 games occupy? I realize you basically have to install every single game, and w/ most the HDD sizes that'd make me nervous (especially if it's 1-2 gigs per install) of running out of hdd space just to install the damn games, not even for their saves or anything.

So while I'm sure it varies, is it usually 1-2 gigs? Or something small like 100-500mb or what? I'm basically trying to gauge how fast the 40gb HDD would fill up w/ just basic game stuff
Old 10-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Formerly MrENGLISH

demos can take up about a gig but why would disc based games require installation? I've never bought or rented a PS3 game so I honestly don't know if there is any installation required. Since the 40gb model lacks BC you shouldn't really need the space for downloading any of the PSone classics unless you plan to play them via PSP.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:29 AM

Some games have optional installation, others have mandatory. Depending on the game it varies from a few MB to a couple GB. Honestly though, how many games do you plan to buy? You can delete the installed data if you rented the game after you're done with it.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Formerly MrENGLISH

also wanted to add that you can easily replace the hdd with a bigger hdd.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Banned

Well yea I wasn't referring to demos, but game installs. I find it incredibly stupid you have to install some games, and others you might as well have to install unless you want very long load times. But was curious how space-hogging they were to the HDD
Old 10-30-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpho View Post
Well yea I wasn't referring to demos, but game installs. I find it incredibly stupid you have to install some games, and others you might as well have to install unless you want very long load times. But was curious how space-hogging they were to the HDD
I don't have a problem with em at all. Not in the least. If the 360 had a harddrive standard, it would have installs as well. Kinda wish Motorstorm did game installation, not counting it's patch data.

Typically not very space consuming. But Oblivion is huge and Ninja Gaiden is pretty chunky as well.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:56 AM

Arcade games are relativley small, between 250-500 mb. Demos are between 500mb-1gb depending on the demo, sometimes more. Some games do install more content for faster loading times, but that's optional. I'm not sure if that's atypical for all consoles with HD's, since there are only 2, but I'm pretty sure many might do such a thing.

Lastly, I would stay away from USB/Firewire external drives. They're ok for backing up data, but as a main drive they're ungodly slow as compared to a SATA/eSATA solution. The best bet for a very fast external drive would be an eSATA adapter to an external standard HD (many come with enclosures you can purchase seperatley. You can even choose what speed you want, 7500 - 15000 RPM's, which will noticibly decrease your load/access times.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrENGLISH View Post
also wanted to add that you can easily replace the hdd with a bigger hdd.

Actually you can use a sata laptop hard drive to upgrade to, you don't need an external hard drive. Those take up some space, and I'm sure people do not want one of those near their home theater system. A internal hard drive would be more sufficient.