Universal Remote Solutions for PS3 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-29-2007, 04:03 PM
BanthaPoodoo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,510
Default Universal Remote Solutions for PS3

I just aquired a Universal Remote Aurora to run my system, and it works REALLY great for my Samsung TV, Sony receiver, and Xbox 360. But obviously not so much for the PS3. SO, I also purchased the Nyko 'BluWave' infrared remote ($14.99), since it comes with an infrared USB sensor so I can use my Aurora. It works great but with only one draw back: you cant turn the PS3 on/off with it. But thats really a small price to pay for only having to deal with one remote.

Anyway, it just got me thinking that it's been a while since I saw a thread on this topic so I figured I'd bring it up again. Is there anything new (or on the horizon) that can be used for both, like an infred remote that also does Blue Tooth? Also I'd like to hear about any other options you've tried/heard of in this regard. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Godstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanthaPoodoo View Post
I just aquired a Universal Remote Aurora to run my system, and it works REALLY great for my Samsung TV, Sony receiver, and Xbox 360. But obviously not so much for the PS3. SO, I also purchased the Nyko 'BluWave' infrared remote ($14.99), since it comes with an infrared USB sensor so I can use my Aurora. It works great but with only one draw back: you cant turn the PS3 on/off with it. But thats really a small price to pay for only having to deal with one remote.

Anyway, it just got me thinking that it's been a while since I saw a thread on this topic so I figured I'd bring it up again. Is there anything new (or on the horizon) that can be used for both, like an infred remote that also does Blue Tooth? Also I'd like to hear about any other options you've tried/heard of in this regard. Thanks.
Yeah that really need a remote that sends out both a bluetooth single and an infra-red signal....or they need to just make all devices use bluetooth, which I prefer anyways.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2007, 05:57 PM
BanthaPoodoo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
Yeah that really need a remote that sends out both a bluetooth single and an infra-red signal....or they need to just make all devices use bluetooth, which I prefer anyways.
Yeah, what I really dig about the PS3 remote is that you don't have to point it, at all. Hell, you can pop in a CD (or plug in a thumb drive w/ mp3s on it as I prefer to do), go to another room (that isn't too far away) and still skip tracks. All remotes should be bluetooth. Unfortunately it'll probably be a few years before that happens. Till then I'll be fine with my Aurora (and with having to get my lazy azz up off the couch to turn my PS3 off ). Although, I can't imagine why Sony themselves wouldn't be working on an option to allow full functionality through IR.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Cymbol's Avatar
formerly Blu Christmas
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,403
Default

Can you post a link to the Aurora remote you have (have not heard of it). Can it do "pop-up menus" on the BDs? I was looking at getting the Harmony remote and using the USB. I'm really wanting "one" remote. I have heard the Harmony also can not power on/off the PS3.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2007, 07:54 PM
BanthaPoodoo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Christmas View Post
Can you post a link to the Aurora remote you have (have not heard of it). Can it do "pop-up menus" on the BDs? I was looking at getting the Harmony remote and using the USB. I'm really wanting "one" remote. I have heard the Harmony also can not power on/off the PS3.

Thanks,
Sure, HERE ya go. It will be able to do everything you can do through the PS3 controller (if you get the Nyko IR adapter), minus the "PS" button. I think it's a 2005 model and at the time it was $700. Believe me, this is WAY more remote than I need, but I got mine for $200 (new) through a chance deal.

EDIT: Here's the Nyko Remote and USB IR Adaptor, which you'll need if you want any ANY IR remote to work with your PS3.

Last edited by BanthaPoodoo; 10-29-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 31
Default

I was stumped by this a few weeks ago when i was going thru all 6 of my remotes. My wife hates it. But, to use the PS3, the universal remote would need to have bluetooth. Which will be a while..and will be really expensive when it comes out. The PS3 is pretty much the only device that used Bluetooth for its remote.

Are any of the Harmony's good? Whch one would you suggest? I can't buy the big touchscreen one. $500 for a remote is a little over the top for me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-30-2007, 04:15 PM
BanthaPoodoo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsage View Post
I was stumped by this a few weeks ago when i was going thru all 6 of my remotes. My wife hates it. But, to use the PS3, the universal remote would need to have bluetooth. Which will be a while..and will be really expensive when it comes out. The PS3 is pretty much the only device that used Bluetooth for its remote.

Are any of the Harmony's good? Whch one would you suggest? I can't buy the big touchscreen one. $500 for a remote is a little over the top for me.
Check the link I posted for the Nyko IR adaptor for the PS3 I posted above.

Well, I havn't used a Harmony, but I've heard mixed reviews. Although, I can't help but wonder if some of them are just being nit-picky. Several people on this site use them and if I recall, they were happy with them. BUT, they're so popular because they're sold everywhere, and they're by Logitech. I say give it a try, if you hate it you can return it.

There's a brand called "Universal Remote Control," which is the company that makes mine, and they generally get excellent reviews. They have a product line that ranges in price from dirt cheap to insane. You should be able to find one that can do everything you need for less than $200 from their 'Consumer' line. THIS one will probably do everything you need and it's only $130. Just remember if you want to use it for PS3 you need the Nyko adapter, and you can't turn it on/off from the remote (sucks, I know, but now that I've been using it a few days it's not a big deal at all, and the Nyko adapter works great).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 123
Default

Just wanted to bump this and see if anyone has found a solution that would allow one to turn on/off the ps3 as well?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Yog-Sothoth's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 285
Default

I just got a Harmony remote, and, of course, the only thing I can't control right now is my PS3.

This is the best solution (currently). It's pretty simple—it's a PS3 BD remote with an IR receiver; you're controlling a Bluetooth remote with an IR one.

Everyone send the developer an e-mail and express your interest!

Quote:
In the meantime, the designer would like to gauge how much interest there is in the IR4PS3 to help determine what versions will be available and how much they should cost. So, if you’d like to purchase an IR4PS3 please contact Ben directly at [email protected] for further information on how this will be possible.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-21-2008, 01:24 AM
squall4008's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,653
Default

i work at Circuit City and i get 1/2 off harmony remotes, so i am strongly considering getting the Harmony 1,000 with the touchscreen, since it would only be $250, but i'm only controlling like 5 things now so i dont now if i really need one

i was just wondering why cant you turn it off over usb/ir i understand you cant turn it on because the USB isnt powered in standby but there is a PS button over USB rockband/guitar hero controllers use it, so is it ecause the Nyko remote just doesn't have a PS button it can't turn it off?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Logitech Harmony One Universal Touchscreen Remote & Harmony Adapter for PS3 nickoakdl Home Theater Gear: Buy/Sell/Trade 2 08-23-2011 05:43 AM
Best charging solutions for PS3 controllers? Slayerfaith1982 Game Room 19 01-29-2010 10:44 AM
Advice: PS3 Stereo Solutions Shoeless Game Room 18 08-19-2009 10:25 AM
Question About Ps3 Remote & Universal Remotes shark420 Home Theater Gear 2 12-05-2007 04:26 PM
Snazzy PS3 remote's IR receiver will allow your universal remote to work. MentokTheMindTaker Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles 2 09-21-2007 09:41 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off