Rumor: PS3 2.0 Firmware Features - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-26-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Rumor: PS3 2.0 Firmware Features

I really hope that this isn't all there is cause it really doesn't seem like a substantial upgrade worthy of a 2.0 point release. More like a 1.97, IMO.

Quote:
PLAYSTATION 3 System Software update version 2.00

Schedule: 30 October 2007[JST]

Main features of PS3 version 2.00

Turn your PS3 on and off with PSP Remote play
A new PLAYSTATION Network category
A TV Category for those who install PlayTV into their HDD (SCEE only).
Playlist for Music & Photo
Content group for Video & Game
XMB customization (Custom theme & background color setting):
This will come with one alternative custome theme. Addition generic themes will be available for download via www.playstation.com with game title themes to follow on Nov 20th, distributed via the Store (PS/PC). The cost of the game themes haven't been decided yet. Guidelines for users to create their own Custom Themes will be distributed via www.playstation.com shortly after the firmware hits.
Information Board: This will be shown in the top right of the screen and include news feeds from Playstation.com as well as store updates. The board came be set to ticker mode, list mode, details mode or disabled.
Trend Micro Web Security for PS3 internet browser: This is a parental lock for website viewing that will initially be free but that Trend Micro will later charge for.
Major props for themes and remote play power-on support... but the rest... Meh.

http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/kotaku/fu...eek-315408.php
Old 10-26-2007, 03:29 PM

Well Kotaku did say the source was questionable.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:55 PM

Well the original 2.0 was suppose to be HOME. So I wouldnt be suprized if they are a tad shy on the features for what they are calling 2.0 now. I would like some VCD/Divix support and MA myself.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx_75 View Post
Well the original 2.0 was suppose to be HOME. So I wouldnt be suprized if they are a tad shy on the features for what they are calling 2.0 now. I would like some VCD/Divix support and MA myself.
God yes, me too.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:29 PM

I wanna see the XMB be accessible in game. That'd be wonderful.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:02 PM

What is the feature that says: A TV Category for those who install PlayTV into their HDD (SCEE only).?

What does it do? How much does it cost? How do you get it?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:09 PM
HDD Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberboy View Post
What is the feature that says: A TV Category for those who install PlayTV into their HDD (SCEE only).?

What does it do? How much does it cost? How do you get it?
You only need to worry about this if you live in Europe.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced a new gadget not too long ago called PlayTV. Essentially it's a digital TV tuner that will take advantage of the more comprehensive digital TV infrastructure that Europe has which North America lacks. Europe is has a much more developed system of DVB-T, which stands for Digital Video Broadcast-Terrestrial. So countries like Germany, the United Kingdom and many others are going to get their hands on this thing next year. Still no word on when a North American roll out of the same thing will occur, unfortunately.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:14 PM

Default PS3 BD-Java 1.1 compliance + 65nm version

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

" Some other notes: We've learned that Sony's PlayStation 3 WILL be firmware updatable to BD-Java 1.1 compliance (expect news on this relatively soon) and likely (eventually) to 2.0 as well."

Also PSP info: Firmware to support PS3 2.0 firmware
http://uk.playstation.com/help-suppo...es-(ver-3-72)/

"
SP update confirms PS3 firmware 2.0 is coming soon?

The PSP system software version 3.72 seems to confirm that PS3 firmware version 2.0 is on its way. The new PSP firmware adds support for Remote Start of the PS3 system under Remote Play. The details on the Playstation site state that you will require that your the PS3 system software must be version 2.00 or later to use this feature. "

More Info

http://www.tvpredictions.com/blupicture103007.htm

"
http://www.engadget.com/page/2/

'It's been revealed that the new 40GB PlayStation 3 features more than just a cut down hard disk drive. Sony has also thought to stick the 65nm version of the Cell inside the new console, reducing the power usage down to around 135 Watts (down from 200 Watts.) That means the console also runs cooler and quieter, which is always a plus for a device that usually resides in the living room. Sony also jiggled around a few other components by making the heat pipe smaller, swapping out the motherboard for a new version, and added a button battery to keep time when the system is off. Looks like potential PS3 purchasers will be looking forward to a less noticeable din then.