Which PS3 to Buy???????????? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-25-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Which PS3 to Buy????????????

Wired posted a nice Venn diagram to help the consumer pick out the right one for his/her own personal needs.
One thing I didn't realize is that the Original PS3's (accoring to the diagram) had full PS2 backward compatability. And the new 80GB only has Limited PS2 BC. http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/...m-compari.html
Old 10-25-2007, 09:19 AM

60 GB and 20 GB had "98%" backwards compatibility, and 80 GB has "80%". Not that limited.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:06 AM

I'm assuming the 80gb PS3 compatability is about the same as the UK 60gb, in which case, it's not that great. Most games run with a lot of errors and glitches.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRox View Post
I'm assuming the 80gb PS3 compatability is about the same as the UK 60gb, in which case, it's not that great. Most games run with a lot of errors and glitches.
Most "errors and glitches" occur during cut scenes or non gameplay moments, where there are audio and video issues that come up.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenDude View Post
Most "errors and glitches" occur during cut scenes or non gameplay moments, where there are audio and video issues that come up.
You could just buy a 40 and then buy a used PS2 at gamestop for like 80 bucks. I'm sure you could find a PS2 for even cheaper if you bought it from your friends.

Not sure how you can say it takes up all that much more room to own a PS2 when the slim is so small and only takes up one extra av-in slot on your tv.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenDude View Post
It's still not great is it? Being a gamer, I actually care about things like that. I honestly would rather have the 98% backwards compatibility, but sadly that wasn't an option for me
Old 10-25-2007, 10:25 AM

That's the best method imo is to just keep your PS2 or get a used one. Besides, why buy a PS3 if you're only going to play PS2 games?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Banned

If you just get a used PS2 then there are issues. Like the fact that you have 2 inputs taken up on your TV instead of 1. And 1 BIG thing for me would be the fact that PS2 looks like @ss on an HDTV (im sorry i've been spoiled by hd gaming) so basically you NEED the PS3 w/ hdmi to upscale PS2 so they don't look as vomit inducing (this goes for all previous gen consoles, not just ps2. It's hd or nothing for me lol)

Although you can buy a new 20gb PS3 from Gamestop for $380, then buy a $30 USB wifi adaptor (will that work on a ps3?) and voila! 98% backwards compatability!And then you can upgrade the HDD down the line as well if you want too.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by balpho View Post
If you just get a used PS2 then there are issues. Like the fact that you have 2 inputs taken up on your TV instead of 1. And 1 BIG thing for me would be the fact that PS2 looks like @ss on an HDTV (im sorry i've been spoiled by hd gaming) so basically you NEED the PS3 w/ hdmi to upscale PS2 so they don't look as vomit inducing (this goes for all previous gen consoles, not just ps2. It's hd or nothing for me lol)

Although you can buy a new 20gb PS3 from Gamestop for $380, then buy a $30 USB wifi adaptor (will that work on a ps3?) and voila! 98% backwards compatability!And then you can upgrade the HDD down the line as well if you want too.
A PS3 is also compatible with PS2 component video cables so you could use only one cable if you are really starved for inputs (HDMI is basically the same as component). The only thing you would miss is upscaling which can only be done over HDMI.

The only reason many PS2 games look bad is because most games are not progressive and in addition, most tv's will also stretch that 480i image to fit the screen.

If not only BC but also upscaling is important to you than the 20 gb is the cheapest way to get into the game, but I still wouldn't recommend it since many PS2 peripherals still don't work on the PS3 (the Guitar from GH for example I believe still doesn't work).
Old 10-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Good Diagram

Having just purchased the 80GB model this past week, I would have to say that that is the best deal of them all. Don't forget, it also comes with a game, Motorstorm, which helps.

Also, note that this is my 1st PS so I do not care about Backwards compatibility. From what I have heard/read though the 80 GB model is 70% compatible using emulation whereas the 20/60 GB models are hardware compatible, which is much better.

The only problem that I had/have is that I only have a DVI input on my HDTV, which I cannot get to work, I have tried everything and yes the DVI connection is HDCP. So, I am using the $19.99 PS3 A/V component cables, which work fine.