While PS3 is in last place, any chance it will discontinue - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-24-2007, 02:27 PM

Default While PS3 is in last place, any chance it will discontinue

Like Dream cast?

I am going to jump on the 40GB PS3, but my friend said beware, it may be another dreamcast. Any possiblity?

PS, i actually mostly want it for blu ray, but I do some casual gaming too.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

as a potential game console, it has at least 2 years of life left. Since it's MORE than just a game console, I don't see it going away anytime soon.

Bad thing about 40GB model is lack of BC with PS2 games.

The PS3 is the best BD player out so you can't go wrong with it either way
Old 10-24-2007, 03:36 PM

With the amount of money that has been dumped into it, i highly doubt a discontinuation. At least it has BC and is an awesome blu ray player...it will stick around.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josuff247 View Post
Like Dream cast?

I am going to jump on the 40GB PS3, but my friend said beware, it may be another dreamcast. Any possiblity?

PS, i actually mostly want it for blu ray, but I do some casual gaming too.
Doubtfull. Look at PSP, it wasn't doing well for a long time and now it's actually doing good against the DS. Things change. Also this is Sony, not Sega, they never drop anything.

That being said I would get the PS3 20GB/60GB if you could find it, then the PS 80GB if you can't, and lastly if you have no PS2 games and have no interest in them the PS3 40GB.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:44 PM
HDD Contributor

The PS3 isn't going to die and be discontinued the way the Dreamcast was in previous generations. However, depending on how well it does--particularly if it bombs in last place pitifully--this will likely have an effect on how the PS4 will turn out, or perhaps make it the last Playstation console we see if it really performs underwhelmingly.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:37 PM

Personally as a gamer, I see that Sony is following the same pattern they did with the PSP and that is they are not focused on games but are focused on making their media format succeed. As a gamer I find this insulting as I want to play games first. Everything else is just gravy.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:02 PM

I wouldn't compare the PS3's path thus far to Dreamcast in any way. Dreamcast dropped in price to half the PS2 price within a year of releasing, and still couldn't move consoles. To really have a comparison, we'd need a PS3 priced at $150 already, and then I'd be worried. Also keep in mind, the PS3 launched originally with a $499 model, so the 40 GB version at $399 will be the first real price cut, and is hardly as drastic as what Sega went through.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmDoNut View Post
Personally as a gamer, I see that Sony is following the same pattern they did with the PSP and that is they are not focused on games but are focused on making their media format succeed. As a gamer I find this insulting as I want to play games first. Everything else is just gravy.
Except that Blu-ray wasn't DOA like UMD was. I do wish they would discontinue the multiple skus though.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:05 PM

I think UMD as a media format was a squandered opportunity. I think that if the movies were like ten bucks and the PSP had been equipped with a faster UMD drive along with a longer battery life, I think UMD could have done better. Maybe not a breakaway success but viable.

Oh and CE support would have been lovely and lacking CE support they could have put a UMD drive in the PS3 as well (... I'd buy that. ^_^)

But Sony has a tenacity that is unmatched (I mean they made Betamax players untill 2002, for heaven's sake) so the PS3 will be around and I am confident that there will be a PS4. I think talking about the PlayStation 4 is kind of disheartening as the PS3 has a good ways to go before it's out of steam. In one year Sony has been able to drop the entry price by $200.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:06 PM

I agree Blu-ray is far from dead however there are enough companies and studios that have a stake in Blu-ray that Sony should let them drive where Blu-ray goes and focus on trying to retake the game market.

Also I agree with the multiple sku's. There are way to many PS3 versions out there and that might be enough to confuse consumers and drive them to buy one of the other consoles as it would appear that the competitors lines are more stable.