DOLBY TRUEHD on a PS3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-17-2007, 03:55 PM

Default DOLBY TRUEHD on a PS3

Hi first time post , i've got a PS3 and a 605 , i've got Spiderman 3 BD and i'm trying to play the TRUEHD audio choice on the film and i'm only getting Multi Channel 5.1 ( A/V setting at Linear PCM ) and when i change it (A/V setting at bitstream ) it shows on the amp as Dolbly Digital 5.1 . When you look at the info (when you press Triangle on the joypad ) it shows Dolby TRUEHD and how many mps of data but on the amp as Multi Channel . Is this because of the frimware on the PS3 not being able to send it bitstream as i've noticed not many players of BD and HD DVD can send bitsream at the mo ? Any ideas would be appreciated cheers . It used to be so easy when you had Dolby digital and DTS but now its a nightmare
Old 10-17-2007, 03:59 PM

"Is this because of the frimware on the PS3 not being able to send it bitstream "

Yes, the PS3 won't output TrueHD bitstream so that is why it is showing as Multi channel on your receiver.

If it helps you are getting lossless sound, it is just being decoded in the PS3 instead of the receiver.

BTW... where did you pick up SM3? Import?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:08 PM

Sendit.com in the uk , Spiderman 1 , 2 , 3 box set for 32.99 , the first 2 are TRUEHD , 3 is uncompressed pcm and TRUEHD , is the Ps3 going to get an firmware ugrade to do this ?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndiablo View Post
Sendit.com in the uk , Spiderman 1 , 2 , 3 box set for 32.99 , the first 2 are TRUEHD , 3 is uncompressed pcm and TRUEHD , is the Ps3 going to get an firmware ugrade to do this ?

Why? What difference does it make where the TrueHD is decoded into PCM? It's not like your receiver has some magic decoding technology that will turn the 1s and 0s into better sounding 1s and 0s.

Leave your PS3 set to PCM and allow it to decode the TrueHD track. You're still getting every last bit of the soundtrack. It will sound as good as it's going to.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:28 PM

Does TrueHD have a core like DTS-HD MA does? If so, will the PS3 output that via optical?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:40 PM

TrueHD does not have a core track, so if you pick it and you've only got the optical cable in use, you'll either hear nothing, or the player will revert back to the vanilla Dolby Digital track.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian2 View Post
Does TrueHD have a core like DTS-HD MA does? If so, will the PS3 output that via optical?
it doesnt have a core track but most titles(i think all titles with DTHD have one) have a standard DD track so if its on optical then it just goes back to the standard DD track
Old 10-18-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall4008 View Post
it doesnt have a core track but most titles(i think all titles with DTHD have one) have a standard DD track so if its on optical then it just goes back to the standard DD track
I actually tried this a couple of days ago with 5th Element (the disc has a PCM Track and a TrueHD Track - no specific DD tracks).

Plugged the PS3 via optical in my older Amp and chose TrueHD in the disc menu the Receiver showed Dolby Digital 5.1 and I got surround sound out of all speakers.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonian View Post
TrueHD does not have a core track, so if you pick it and you've only got the optical cable in use, you'll either hear nothing, or the player will revert back to the vanilla Dolby Digital track.
I watched Surfs Up the other day and it has a truehd track on it and my PS3 played it fine set on bitstream with my optical cable.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:13 AM

Which means that the PS3 reverted back to the DD 5.1 track.