Color mode on ps3? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-12-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Color mode on ps3?

I was messing around with settings while watching a blu-ray movie on the ps3. I selected options then selected the icon for AV options.

On that menu there something called "color mode" It was set to "limited color" I toggled it on to FULL color and saw a big difference. Everything seemed a bit darker. The next day watching the same movie i went back to this menu and now it was grayed out and set to limited color.

Anyone know about this?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
I was messing around with settings while watching a blu-ray movie on the ps3. I selected options then selected the icon for AV options.

On that menu there something called "color mode" It was set to "limited color" I toggled it on to FULL color and saw a big difference. Everything seemed a bit darker. The next day watching the same movie i went back to this menu and now it was grayed out and set to limited color.

Anyone know about this?
I think the color setting refers to the option for HDMI 1.3, Tru Color, which I'm not sure the PS3 supports yet. Granted, you have to have an output device and a receiver that supports it as well, so I'm not sure if it's been activated yet. I'm expecting it around the same time HD-MA is enabled. It's possible that's what they're refering to, but I would have to check.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:15 PM

I did the same thing yesterday. I checked it and everything got darker, so I unchecked it and rebooted the PS3.

I have a 1.3 receiver so I'm guessing that's not the reason. Perhaps our TV's don't support it?
Old 10-12-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestaton View Post
I did the same thing yesterday. I checked it and everything got darker, so I unchecked it and rebooted the PS3.

I have a 1.3 receiver so I'm guessing that's not the reason. Perhaps our TV's don't support it?
Not many TV's or PJ's support Tru Color yet. It's got twice the colors, if not more, that a normal image would have (24 bits vs. 48, 56 and 64 bit. for Tru Color).
Old 10-12-2007, 09:32 PM

huh. ive never noticed that. Im gonna give it a whirl tonight
Old 10-20-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post

Anyone know about this?

Do you have the latest (1.93) update? Initially, the full RGB color (released around update 1.90) which I think you are reffering to wasn't working right as it would keep resetting, but after you upgrade to 1.93, when you set it on Full RGB, it'll stay on Full RGB after you turn the system off.